The tea thread

Is it the Yorkshire tea, or does tea caddies that look a bit more fancy?

I believe it is from Yorkshire. It used to be sold in square tins with lids. I think that now it is also sold in cardboard packaging, like Twinnings. I haven't bought any in a while.

CD

I believe it is from Yorkshire. It used to be sold in square tins with lids. I think that now it is also sold in cardboard packaging, like Twinnings. I haven't bought any in a while.

CD
I'm thinking about this one. Never tried it
1704803577689.png

View attachment 108977
It’s very popular. I like it but you’re not going to think ooo this is better than Fortums 😂 If i didn’t favour no plastic teabags I’d have it as good plain everyday tea.

Taylors also make some very popular, not very inspiring ground coffee’s you’ll find in almost all supermarkets too.

OH yeah Fortnum is expensive. Still love it though.

Do you have Lipton in Spain? I quite like Lipton Yellow Label. And the portuguese Gorreana tea from the Azores is also good.

But overall my favorite tea of all time is Twinnings Irish breakfast.

I'm no tea connoisseur though. And I often commit the cardinal sin of heating tea water in the microwave.
There’s no Lipton‘s sold near me in Spain.

Oddly enough in-spite of being a very old British brand that revolutionised that sale of tea (it was an expensive product in the 1800’s and Mr Lipton decided to buy it wholesale and sell loose tea direct to the masses) once Unilever bought it in the 70’s they decided to make it for export only so you can’t buy it here either!

I have to say though I wouldn’t drink Liptons out of choice. I don’t know if they deliberately reduced the amount of tea in the bag for the Spanish market but you need at least two to get even close to a cup of tea at home.

As it’s easy to transport teabags and there are Brit supermarkets in Andalucia I don’t worry about it.

It’s the water quality in Spain that ruins a cup o tea. A ‘Zero’ water filter Is the only way around it and they don’t last long, which at £15 a pop and the filters going to landfill isn‘t great.

I tried distilled but that also produces odd tea, there’s obviously some necessary mineral level needed to make a familiar cup of tea.

I don’t know if they deliberately reduced the amount of tea in the bag for the Spanish market but you need at least two to get even close to a cup of tea at home.
When we first moved to the UK, on the day the movers arrived to deliver and unpack us, I remembered my manners and asked if they’d like a cup of tea:

“Yeah, fanks. That’d be all ‘ight.”

Off I went, boiled the water, poured it over a Lipton teabag (from the American commissary), splash of milk, brought it in, feeling quite happy about the kudos I was about to receive for making tea with milk (something, I think, most Americans don’t do with hot tea).

“Blimey, not Lipton! Put ‘bout four more of those in there for us, yeah?!”

:laugh:

When we first moved to the UK, on the day the movers arrived to deliver and unpack us, I remembered my manners and asked if they’d like a cup of tea:

“Yeah, fanks. That’d be all ‘ight.”

Off I went, boiled the water, poured it over a Lipton teabag (from the American commissary), splash of milk, brought it in, feeling quite happy about the kudos I was about to receive for making tea with milk (something, I think, most Americans don’t do with hot tea).

“Blimey, not Lipton! Put ‘bout four more of those in there for us, yeah?!”

:laugh:
Maybe thats why Unilever decided to stop selling them in the UK, they were probably flogging a dead horse 😂

View attachment 108977

I usually use it (that or PG Tips). Its a good strong tea. There is an up market version:

Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 20.45.41.png

It’s very popular. I like it but you’re not going to think ooo this is better than Fortums 😂 If i didn’t favour no plastic teabags I’d have it as good plain everyday tea.

Taylors also make some very popular, not very inspiring ground coffee’s you’ll find in almost all supermarkets too.

Yorkshire tea-bags are now plant based:

Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 20.41.01.png

You're making me curious about trying Yorkshire tea. I've seen it sold in stores, don't know why but I thought it was poor quality tea, maybe I am confusing it with PG tips.

I usually use it (that or PG Tips). Its a good strong tea. There is an up market version:

View attachment 108995

Yorkshire tea-bags are now plant based:

View attachment 108994
They are on their way, but don’t be fooled by PLA.
Good old fashioned celullose is tree pulp. Some PLA’s don’t break down at all.
Yorkshire tea say they never advise of disposing of their teabags in your compost, that they should go in your food waste, which in the UK is generally burned to create energy.

A lot of PLA’s have to reach sustained high temperatures to ’degrade’. As we’re all about the cooling down right now not burning things up none of it‘s yet quite where it needs to be.

I use teabags too, all the time, and if they can stay together steeping in boiling water (without being stapled) then they aren’t going to break down in the environment easily either.

You're making me curious about trying Yorkshire tea. I've seen it sold in stores, don't know why but I thought it was poor quality tea, maybe I am confusing it with PG tips.

It depends on your taste. Yorkshire tea and PG tips are good strong tea as liked by (some) Brits. If you prefer a lighter delicate brew then its not for you. Yorkshire tea, properly brewed, will have a rich brown colour:

1704835090398.png

Last edited:
It depends on your taste. Yorkshire tea and PG tips are good strong tea as liked by (some) Brits. If you prefer a lighter delicate brew then its not for you. Yorkshire tea, properly brewed, will have a rich brown colour:

View attachment 108996
Does it have milk, or is that the color of the tea on its own?

I’ve had both Yorkshire varieties and PG Tips and I like them all just fine.

Back
Top Bottom