Toasters

jennyb

Über Member
Local time
8:23 AM
My toaster has given up the ghost which is not a big deal since I was always irritated by the way it left the top strip of the toast uncooked. So I did a search and read some reviews to try and make sure that the replacement doesn't have this problem. I was really surprised at it seems than even some of the most expensive ones have this problem.

The trouble is, the reviews either mention it or they don't and I can't find a review which says that it isn't a problem. So, short of turning up to shops with a slice of bread and asking to try out all the toasters, I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone recommend a toaster which doesn't have this problem? I'm talking about a standard sized UK sandwich loaf.

Don't think there is one now that will take a slice of bread, vertically. Hotpoint did make one.

Philips did a few that would take it horizontally. Two single slices, not two slices in a toaster designed for four.

I got mine because the reviews all said how good it was coping with non-standard sized loaves. I don't use a bread tin, so my loaves are usually wide rather than tall. It's a 2 slice toaster but I can usually get 4 slices of mine in if I put them in vertically, but they are still only the equivalent of 2 normal slices.

My toaster has given up the ghost which is not a big deal since I was always irritated by the way it left the top strip of the toast uncooked. So I did a search and read some reviews to try and make sure that the replacement doesn't have this problem. I was really surprised at it seems than even some of the most expensive ones have this problem.

The trouble is, the reviews either mention it or they don't and I can't find a review which says that it isn't a problem. So, short of turning up to shops with a slice of bread and asking to try out all the toasters, I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone recommend a toaster which doesn't have this problem? I'm talking about a standard sized UK sandwich loaf.
If you want to try all the toasters, you might want to take a loaf of bread rather than just a slice. I can't help because I am in the US. I have a 4 slice toaster that I bought at a thrift store. It has multiple settings.

Ours is a cheap and cheerful Tesco's special - does the entire slice BUT like many we've found [and even some expensive ones] it's too small to fit a large slice in lengthwise so you have to rim the end off. I mean what sort of bread do the designers toast ?

Ours is a cheap and cheerful Tesco's special - does the entire slice BUT like many we've found [and even some expensive ones] it's too small to fit a large slice in lengthwise so you have to rim the end off. I mean what sort of bread do the designers toast ?

It does make you wonder :scratchhead:

Mine came from Tesco's too, but it was on special offer so it was even cheaper than their cheap and cheerful one, and it looks as though it will take a full sized slice. I like it because it does take non-standard sized slices and also the bagel toaster will toast rolls, buns etc.

After years of budget toasters not toasting properly just as you describe, we decided to treat ourselves to a Dualt, more expensive but definatly worth it. We bought a 4 slice toaster and you set how many slices you are doing from 1 to 4 so there's no heat wasted. It's one of the best gadgets we have ever invested in.
Gsh , I've just googled it and they are more expensive than I thought. We've had ours for several years, it's been nothing but pleasue and looking and working like new.

https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&...hUKEwiSurX7qOjRAhVnLsAKHeCgDRwQwzwIoQE&adurl=

We had one that was excellent as well. It did do the entire slice of Black
wholemeal or even one of the more rounded topped ones. It's a few yeathe-best-toasters-21

n't had a toaster for a long time but I think it was made by breville (?) and took 2 or 4 slices (you could tell it iirc). It wasn't cheap mind you, but it was worth it.

Actually it could well have been this Russell Hobbs one which is out of stock here at John Lewis but is cheap. http://www.johnlewis.com/russell-hobbs-legacy-toaster/p2143312?colour=Blac

There are various reviews and basically I think you need to be looking for a toaster that says extra deep not extra wide (though both are useful) toasting slots. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...ode=as2&tag=tcuk_article_the-best-toasters-21

Here are a couple of broadsheet reviews..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/equipment/the-best-toasters/
http://www.independent.co.uk/extras...liances/best-4-slice-toasters-uk-9712740.html

Thank you everyone. I've now got lots of information to go on. It could be a question of budget. I'm not sure I can justify spending too much on a toaster. :D

We use our grill because we don't do toast often enough to justify buying a toaster.
I've been using the grill since the toaster broke down. It does take longer though. Hubby likes to get up early and make himself toast and is complaining about that. :laugh:

We have a Russell Hobbs Classic Long Slot Toaster and if you put the bread in sideways (long side down) it toast the whole slice really well.

We bought one recently and, like you say, it leaves a little of a large slice of bread un-toasted. If I were you, I'd cut a slice of cardboard to the same size as your standard loaf slice and take that with you to the store.

Tefal Toaster

Back
Top Bottom