Tomatoes - what to do with them

Another idea for the ripe, red ones is a margherita salad.

Alternate slices of tomato, buffalo mozzarella, and julienned fresh basil leaves.

Top with a drizzle of thickened balsamic vinegar.

If you can't get real mozzarella di bufala, then just use regular water mozz, not the low moisture stuff like you would use on pizza or chicken parm.

Now, if you only have low moisture mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil, slice a baguette in half and smear with garlic butter. Put both halves under the broiler for a moment, then place tomato slices and shredded mozz on top of one half and put back under the broiler to melt the cheese. Top with shredded fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil, red wine or balsamic vinegar, and a tiny pinch of dried savory or oregano and serve as a sandwich.

I love this salad and basil always works with tomatoes. I think cheese is in short supply in Thailand though and I'm not sure if @Yorky could possibly find mozzarella of any sort. But I may be wrong...

We have mozzarella and basil (holy) virtually grows wild here.

My wife organised a few trucks of what is laughingly called soil to build up the back field on Friday last. She's intending to grow stuff which will include basil, coriander and chillis. Looks a bit excessive to me.

filling 2.jpg

I have some black tomatoes arriving tomorrow :hyper: (courtesy of on-line supermarket Ocado). I'm going to go to bed and fall asleep whilst thinking up ideas of how to use them. :sleep:

I have some black tomatoes arriving tomorrow :hyper: (courtesy of on-line supermarket Ocado). I'm going to go to bed and fall asleep whilst thinking up ideas of how to use them. :sleep:

Tomorrow, I shall post pictures of the strange coloured tomatoes included in my mate's batch.

This is about as basic as it gets, but it's good. Grilled tomatoes on toast. A quick sprinkling of black pepper and that's it. If you're feeling really extravagant, add a poached egg.

Mmm, I love grilled or roasted tomatoes.

Reminds me of an Irish breakfast where you lop the tops off of a nice, red juicy one, sprinkle with a healthy amount of salt, pepper, fresh thyme, fresh parsley, and maybe some chervil or savory, then roast or grill until heated tnrough.

This is about as basic as it gets, but it's good. Grilled tomatoes on toast. A quick sprinkling of black pepper and that's it. If you're feeling really extravagant, add a poached egg.
I happen to love tomatoes on toast. There is something about the combination of astringent soft tomato with slightly burnt bread, a little salt and as you say, some black pepper.

Back
Top Bottom