Vegetable curries

Duck59

Guru
Local time
8:00 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
It has become something of a tradition with me to have a vegetable curry on Christmas Day. Not that I celebrate Christmas, but it's something I started doing in the early 1980s and have continued ever since.

I'm open to putting pretty much any vegetable into a curry. Cauliflower and broccoli (especially tender stem or purple sprouting) work well and I like to add a sweeter vegetable or two to balance the spiciness. Parsnips do a good job in this respect, though swede, turnip or sweet potatoes can make a nice change.

I like a bit of a mixture when it comes to making a curry, so there's usually a heap of onions, mushrooms, garlic, ginger and an array of spices. Leeks make a good alternative to onions and I find celery is quite good as well, providing a nice crispness.

So, after all that prattling on, let's get to the question: does anyone have a favourite mix for a vegetable curry?

It has become something of a tradition with me to have a vegetable curry on Christmas Day. Not that I celebrate Christmas, but it's something I started doing in the early 1980s and have continued ever since.

I'd happily eat curry any day of the week! My favourite is potato - I just love the way the potato soaks up the curry flavour. Also cauliflower which stands up well to spicy flavours.

I find celery is quite good as well, providing a nice crispness.

The current Recipe Challenge ingredient is celery. :whistling:

I had a vegetable istoo on Christmas Eve - potatoes, broccoli, carrots, and peas, with loads of onion, garlic and chillies as well as the usual spices - but I don't have a favourite mix of veg. I normally make a veggie curry out of whatever odds and ends are left over before my new veg box comes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom