Recipe Vegetarian Tuna Fish Sandwich

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
10:55 PM
Vegetarian Tuna Fish.jpg

Ingredients
1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup mayonnaise (or vegan alternative)
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons umeboshi vinegar
2 teaspoons celery seeds
1/4 cup chopped celery, from about one rib
2 tablespoons sliced scallions, from about about two scallions
Pinch cayenne pepper, optional
Freshly ground black pepper
2 to 4 slices whole grain or artisan-style bread
2 to 4 lettuce leaves, washed and dried well

Method
  • Place chickpeas in the bowl of a food processor and pulse two or three times to roughly chop. Add remaining ingredients and pulse two or three times more to incorporate.
  • Lay out the bread and place the lettuce leaves on two slices. Spoon on the Chickpea of the Sea and top with the other slice of bread. Cut in half and enjoy!
Recipe Notes
To make without a food processor: Place the drained chickpeas in a bowl and mash slightly with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. You may want to chop the celery and onions a little finer for this version, since they won't be getting an additional chop in the processor.

Vegan Alternative:

Use vegan mayo or a vinaigrette in place of the mayonnaise.

http://www.thekitchn.com/vegetarian-lunch-chickpea-of-t-114022

This is a delicious alternative to tuna. Its rather like a twist on a making hummus and the addition of vegetables. I have done this with avocado's myself too adding grilled mushrooms in it. A little curious here. What is the main ingredient in vegan mayo? I have never heard of it.

I've made something like this before! Except, since I don't like mayonnaise (not even the vegan alternatives like Vegannaise), I used mushed avocado. Kidney beans are also a great addition and give a different, meaty texture to the "tuna."

This is a delicious alternative to tuna. Its rather like a twist on a making hummus and the addition of vegetables. I have done this with avocado's myself too adding grilled mushrooms in it. A little curious here. What is the main ingredient in vegan mayo? I have never heard of it.
You can make vegan mayo using aquafabia (juice from a can of chick-peas or other bean). There's a thread on it somewhere... I've made it several times. Its very easy if you have a stick blender.

Oh when I saw this post I just had to look at it. Chick peas aka garbanzo beans are an excellent and filling protein. I think they are a great substitute for tuna. They are really filling, when I was on the 20/20 diet it was one of the recommended proteins to use. They can also be used in chocolate chip cookies suprisingly enough.

You can make vegan mayo using aquafabia (juice from a can of chick-peas or other bean). There's a thread on it somewhere... I've made it several times. Its very easy if you have a stick blender.

Wow, you learn things everyday. I did not know you could use the juice of the chickpeas for anything. I never tasted it but I always assumed it was salty for some reason. I'll do some research on this and try it out. Thank you much!

What a name! I am assuming it taste like tuna when you are done. Quite interesting I must confess and the filling does look like tuna......

Sweetcorn is very ...well... sweet. Does tuna taste sweet? I don't think so - but the umeboshi vinegar may temper this and add a salty, fruity tang which might send it in a fishy direction! I'm just guessing here, based on my experience. To really know, I'd have to make it. But I suspect it would taste sweeter than tuna does.

Back
Top Bottom