What did you cook, eat or drink today (August 2018)?

20180808_182803.jpg
20180808_181911.jpg

Revisited the Spare Rib Pork Chops with Almonds as I wasn't happy with the previous version. much better this time, tasted and looked much better. Happy to file that recipe in the 'done' category.

Just one problem, I took a couple of nice shots, unfortunately I forgot to replace the memory card in the camera!

I worked in a Burger King when I was in high school. It was just down the road from a very wealthy suburban NYC neighborhood where many famous people lived (Alpine, NJ). Occasionally, one of them would stop in for a burger and everyone would trip over themselves trying to be the one to serve them.

The best one, however, was when an up-and-coming comedian named Eddie Murphy would come to the drive through window in his cherry red 944 on his way home after taping Saturday Night Live episodes in the city. We were already closed for the night, but he would tap on the window and give us $50 or $60 to make him a burger and fries. Back in 1981, that was big money for a kid, so we got in the habit of setting aside the makings for a triple or quadruple Whopper and hiding them until the manager left, leaving us to mop up and close the doors.
I'll always remember what a nice guy he was, and that laugh.

Oh, getting back to squares, I had Espageti ak Makroel for dinner last night (Haitian spaghetti and smoked mackerel).

A coworkers Haitian mother-in-law made it for me after I gave him a whole smoked mackerel that I picked up on sale at a specialty fish market.

This was based on a very popular dish of Haiti, Espageti ak Aranso, or skettis and smoked herring.

It was delicious. There were a couple of sauteed scotch bonnets on top that I judiciously ate with the spaghetti as it was pretty spicy enough even without them.

I'll have to ask for a recipe next time.

Oh, getting back to squares, I had Espageti ak Makroel for dinner last night (Haitian spaghetti and smoked mackerel).

A coworkers Haitian mother-in-law made it for me after I gave him a whole smoked mackerel that I picked up on sale at a specialty fish market.

This was based on a very popular dish of Haiti, Espageti ak Aranso, or skettis and smoked herring.

It was delicious. There were a couple of sauteed scotch bonnets on top that I judiciously ate with the spaghetti as it was pretty spicy enough even without them.

I'll have to ask for a recipe next time.

I'd like to see that recipe too.

Back
Top Bottom