What did you cook, eat or drink today (August 2018)?

As I had plenty of eggs and onions still to be disposed before we left for the holidays, I challenged the heat by preparing this onions frittata

Frittata di cipolle.jpg

Not in Brittany either. I get a strange look when I order it....In Slovenia my breakfast order was always bela kava pa kozarec vode and I remember a friend who worked in Trieste 25 years ago telling me he always ordered 'capp(uccino) e bicch(ieri)' for breakfast.

I can't drink strong coffee any more without a glass of water - I find it just too dehydrating in this hot weather

Not in Brittany either. I get a strange look when I order it....In Slovenia my breakfast order was always bela kava pa kozarec vode and I remember a friend who worked in Trieste 25 years ago telling me he always ordered 'capp(uccino) e bicch(ieri)' for breakfast.

I can't drink strong coffee any more without a glass of water - I find it just too dehydrating in this hot weather

My husband is from Rome and the glass of water is used by default. When he moved here to the North he suffered for this thing that for a Roman is almost unacceptable (at least as much as the cream in the carbonara). He must always ask and they look at him a little strange. Then they hear his accent and say "ah here's why, you're from Rome".
I do not have this habit but it is certainly pleasant when in Rome they offer me some water (usually to drink before coffee because they say that it attenuates a bit the acidity of the coffee)

the glass of water is used by default

Quite right - I agree with your husband - it should be offered to the customer. It doesn't cost anything - and you don't have to drink it if you don't want to.

they say that it attenuates a bit the acidity of the coffee)

That's a very interesting comment. I suppose the water acts as a palate cleanser, so it would help amplify the taste of the coffee. But it must be good coffee...

Quite right - I agree with your husband - it should be offered to the customer. It doesn't cost anything - and you don't have to drink it if you don't want to.

That's a very interesting comment. I suppose the water acts as a palate cleanser, so it would help amplify the taste of the coffee. But it must be good coffee...

yes, even to "cleanse the mouth" before and prepare it to drink coffee, but the water previously drunk is also to "lighten" the stomach. Then there are those who drink it after coffee because it also makes you thirsty or also to clean your mouth from the taste of a bad coffee.
Drinking coffee in Rome is complicated :happy:

And also for me water should always be offered and then, if you do not drink it does not matter .. also because they use tap water that even if you throw it does not affect any cost, instead of that in bottled water

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom