What did you cook, eat or drink today (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was on late today so had frozen leftovers.

I can only vaguely remember making it, I think it was one of my frequent failures. It was a chicken breast with a load of red onions. I forgot to label the container. I do that sometimes because I think to myself "It's obvious what this is so I won't need to label it..."

The Rusty Pelican salad I've mentioned before, shrimp, hard-boiled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, with a honey mustard dressing.

Those both look yummy. Is there a reason you don't do meat replacements?
I turned vegetarian in the mid 80s. There wasn't much that was meat replacements back then that was even vaguely edible (in the UK), so I grew up with pretty much tvp chunks or tvp mince. I vaguely recall Quorn coming to the UK and wasn't overly impressed. I grew up pretty much just eating the veg when we had the rare family meal or pulling something out of the freezer to reheat (such as a jacket potato to add cheese to, or something my Grannie had put in there (home made) to reheat or one of my "go to meals" which was a bowl of garden peas (I love them) ). Meat replacements just never featured in my diet and I learnt to cook with the philosophy that you didn't actually need may replacements in a meal if you cooked a balanced wholesome diet. My parents had friends who were hippies, the classic 60s teenagers now married with children but still living the life in the 80s and still vegetarian, one was vegan and I can't distinctly remember 80s soya milk ! Horrible.
But they were very definitely into lentils and pulses cooking them from dried form and herbs and spices which had never even entered my parents home at that point .

. I forgot to label the container. I do that sometimes because I think to myself "It's obvious what this is so I won't need to label it..."
We do the meal lottery . Pull any container of of the freezer, defrost and that's the meal. You can add rice or pasta to the dish or serve with a slice of bread. Sometimes it's a soup, sometimes Indian, or a dairy free cheese sauce . Just occasionally you end up with apple crumble instead of a savory dish with a similar topping. That makes for a curious combination .

We also used to play it with tinned stuff when the mice had eaten all the labels off the cans . Get 2 cans and that's the meal ... Some interesting combinations are experienced.

Almost reminded me of a fat version of Lumpia.

I love Lumpia!

Had it first time in Delft in Rotterdam about 40 years ago. However, I've never seen it in Indonesia (where I believe it originated).

Pan fried cod, mashed potatoes with onion and garlic and parsley sauce.

served s.jpg

served 3 s.jpg

parsley s.jpg

Meat replacements just never featured in my diet and I learnt to cook with the philosophy that you didn't actually need may replacements in a meal if you cooked a balanced wholesome diet.

We do the meal lottery . Pull any container of of the freezer, defrost and that's the meal. You can add rice or pasta to the dish or serve with a slice of bread. Sometimes it's a soup, sometimes Indian, or a dairy free cheese sauce . Just occasionally you end up with apple crumble instead of a savory dish with a similar topping. That makes for a curious combination .

We also used to play it with tinned stuff when the mice had eaten all the labels off the cans . Get 2 cans and that's the meal ... Some interesting combinations are experienced.

When was on a fat limited diet last year I made a few meals with some sort of meat substitute, unfortunately I can't remember what it was called.
I was however pleasantly surprised, it made a very nice meal with, perhaps, a slight difference in texture and maybe in taste. I would certainly repeat the experiment again.

I got caught out with the meal lottery some years back at work. I grabbed a container (unlabelled again, ooops) out of the freezer and headed off to work. I had a fairly busy afternoon with a few equipment problems.
About 6 pm when things had quietened down I opened the container. Eeeek! I'd managed to select some sort of very thin stock. I think it was a stock I'd made out of prawn shells. I couldn't mix it with rice as it was far too watery so I tipped it down the drain. Luckily I keep a selection of bits and pieces in my locker, dried mash, tins of potatoes, baked beans, microwavable rice etc. so was able to make something up.

Lunch today: the cheese was purchased on Tuesday at the cheese club, it is branded as a Red Leicester, it is a firm texture with a nutty flavour. The stuff you normally get from supermarkets and cheap cheese boards is usually a rubbery texture and no flavour so this is a pleasant surprise.

P_20190321_120333.jpg

Was on late today so had frozen leftovers.

I can only vaguely remember making it, I think it was one of my frequent failures. It was a chicken breast with a load of red onions. I forgot to label the container. I do that sometimes because I think to myself "It's obvious what this is so I won't need to label it..."

Glad to know I'm not the only one who swears 'I'll remember what that is!' *eyeroll*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom