What did you cook/eat today (February 2018)?

The mayo was built with habanero jelly for heat + some sriracha mostly for color, as well as fish sauce, ginger, lime juice, rice vinegar, and the one thing I can't do without in a spicy mayo: a few drops of toasted sesame oil. I started doing this years ago as a sauce for sushi, and now I can't do without it.

Brilliant.

Thank you very much.

It’s on the list.

Thank you @morning glory and @Francesca The gluten allergy causes swelling that makes the pain worse for his trigeminal neuralgia / tempero mandibular jaw syndrome. In other words a lot of pain down one side of his face all the way from jaw to eye so makes him unable to function as normal. No work. Cancelled evening plans. This used to be quite usual for us but does not happen so often since we found the allergy link (not just food).

Sounds horrible! I'd imagine its quite rare. Anyway, at least you know how to avoid it.

taco night

20180215_171536.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As it's snooker day we decided on Hainanese Fried Rice for dinner. Arrived at the stall to find it all shuttered up. How can that be?

Having lived in China and with Chinese for a number of years, I'm a right divvy!

cny banner.jpg

IMG_1171.JPG

Friday during International Burger Week is featuring a twist on the burger preparation as we visit Ypsilanti, Michigan in the States: a Sloppy Joe topped with pickled red onions (pickled with cumin) and gouda. I was skeptical about adding cheese to a sloppy joe, but I did it because that's what @detroitdad did in his original post. I do like the effect of the cheese here since it brings down the heat somewhat (I probably put a few too many bits of pickled habanero). The funny thing is, despite the name, this wasn't nearly as messy to eat as the Banh Mi burger was yesterday.

The week's outlay of burgers is as follows:
I do have the ingredients to make at least one other distinctly different burger, but I'm not sure if my stomach can take another burger!

Last edited:
Missed you all - my computer lost it's mind for a few days.
The only thing I cooked this week worth mentioning was a special dinner for my Valentine - Beef Wellington. I cheated and used frozen puff pastry. I did not look very hard for Parma. I used prosciutto. The Duxelle was a combination of Cremini and reconstituted wild.mushrooms. The butcher at my neighborhood market cut a fillet to my specifications. It was amazing. Served with oven roasted beets and a salad. My Honey Bear was impressed.

Oh - I did make braised beef short ribs last Sunday - another of his favorites.

Friday night's dinner was soup again! This one was onions, mushrooms, spring greens, carrots, red peppers and courgettes, with black pepper, garlic, ginger, a splash of light soy sauce, and a sprinkle of Chinese 5 Spice seasoning. No stock was used, just plain simple water :happy: And of course there was a thick chunk of bread. Afters was blackberry and apple dim sum with a custard of hot cream and butter.

WP_20180216_21_32_50_Pro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom