What did you cook/eat today (June 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured with your love of challenging foods, you would have made egg rolls.
Although my first thought was does she think that it a deep fried egg.

Note to self: finish coffee before posting.

Now I want to see spring rolls, rice paper rolls, egg rolls as a challenge recipe..... they've been high up on my list for ages now...

Not late night but here in the US, egg rolls are chubby things and spring rolls are thin things.
The wrappers are slightly different.

@Cinisajoy,

Morning Glory explained on a post further up ..

The key difference is that Spring rolls are made with rice flour and Egg rolls are made with wheat flour ..

Have a nice evening.

Last edited:
Do you mean in the alerts?
It means someone posted after you and others may have posted after that.
Welcome and what did you have to eat today?
Monday night is always "salmon night", so.......roasted (wild) sockeye salmon with a citrus spice seasoning with grilled ratatouille tartines as a side dish.

Essentially, neither of them are authentic Chinese foods! :D Spring rolls are Japanese, and egg rolls are a Westernized creation of what a handy, hand-held Chinese food might be. Rather than read me blathering on about the difference, there is a very interesting article I dug up from Mental Floss. (Warning: Mental Floss is an internet rabbit hole. Be careful that you don't fall in, or you will be browsing there for a very long time...)

What's the Difference? Egg Roll vs Spring Roll

Spoiler alert: Fortune Cookies aren't authentic Chinese either...
According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_roll), spring rolls are the Chinese ones. My Chinese cookery book (by Kenneth Lo) confirms this as well as stating that these are served in Chinese teahouses (i.e. in China), and Mr Lo's recipe for the dough also contains egg. These are what are known as spring rolls or pancake rolls in the UK. There is no recipe for anything called "egg rolls" in this book, and Wikipedia states that egg rolls are Chinese-American. There is obviously a difference between British ones and American ones :D

Monday night's dinner was ravioli filled with Stilton cheese, and served with a simple home-made tomato sauce. Afters was fresh strawberries ..... again! :laugh:

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_roll), spring rolls are the Chinese ones. My Chinese cookery book (by Kenneth Lo) confirms this as well as stating that these are served in Chinese teahouses (i.e. in China), and Mr Lo's recipe for the dough also contains egg. These are what are known as spring rolls or pancake rolls in the UK. There is no recipe for anything called "egg rolls" in this book, and Wikipedia states that egg rolls are Chinese-American. There is obviously a difference between British ones and American ones :D
Somehow, that there is a difference is no surprise. Everything seems different.

I'm on vacation, so I'm finally able to go food shopping and make some things that I love.

Tonight, I made Zuppa di Pesce with a side of spaghetti.

I used 2 dozen topneck clams, about 2 dozen mussels, and a pound each of shrimp, bay scallops, and squid.

The sauce was made from a diced Vidalia onion and 2 heaping tbsps of minced garlic sauteed in evoo, tjen 2 large cans of San Marzano tomatoes, dried savory, black pepper, red pepper flakes, fresh basil, and a little fresh thyme.

After simmering for about 45 minutes, the fish was added to the sauce in stages: first the clams, then mussels, shrimp, scallops, and finally the squid.

I had to use our big salad bowl to serve it. I didn't realize how much I made. Here it is next to a standard pasta colander for size comparison.

0626171814b_HDR.jpg

And the zuppa:
0626171836a_HDR.jpg

With the pasta:

0626171841a_HDR.jpg

Last night was two bean soup with dumplings. It is meant to be mixed bean soup with herby dumplings (suet ones at that) but I didn't have any mixed beans, only kidney and butter beans, so I decided to up the quantity of leeks (fresh from the garden) and add a touch more carrot to compensate. The dumplings well veg suet is expensive anywhere, so I don't use it unless it is a recipe calling for it and it is the first time I have made it. So I use a basic scone recipe and make tiny donuts (flattened balls with the centres pinched) and put them in instead. Let them cook in the sauce and they are excellent.

And I also made @MypinchofItaly's olive oil biscuits but the scales decided to turn themselves off as I started to pour the oil in... so I ended up with 75g more flour needed than the recipe stated and I accidentally overcooked them waiting for them to brown (as per the instructions).... oh well. I guess it gives me a good reason to make them again next week!

England-to-U.S. translations aren't much different than me learning NEW England -to-Ohio translations when we moved here. Some days I still feel like I'm living in a foreign land. Just so long as they don't require passports until we move back to Ohio, I'm all set.

Dinner. Well, wasn't in the mood in spite of needing to use up the leftover rice-and-beans and having defrosted chicken breasts overnight in the fridge. Hubby suggested we go out. Hmm, that would require putting make-up on and adding a certain piece of undergarment underneath a top...and a different top, no less, since I was in slopping-around-the-house clothes. Ended up sending hubby out to grill the chicken, which was highly seasoned with a Mexican blend (Penzeys' Salsa and Pico blend) while I warmed the rice, etc, grated cheeses, and heated up some salsa. Ta Da!

20170626_210433.jpg

Halfway through supper he asked "can you feel like not cooking more often?" I think he liked it. :wink:

I'm on vacation, so I'm finally able to go food shopping and make some things that I love.

Tonight, I made Zuppa di Pesce with a side of spaghetti.

I used 2 dozen topneck clams, about 2 dozen mussels, and a pound each of shrimp, bay scallops, and squid.

The sauce was made from a diced Vidalia onion and 2 heaping tbsps of minced garlic sauteed in evoo, tjen 2 large cans of San Marzano tomatoes, dried savory, black pepper, red pepper flakes, fresh basil, and a little fresh thyme.

After simmering for about 45 minutes, the fish was added to the sauce in stages: first the clams, then mussels, shrimp, scallops, and finally the squid.

I had to use our big salad bowl to serve it. I didn't realize how much I made. Here it is next to a standard pasta colander for size comparison.

View attachment 8443

And the zuppa:
View attachment 8444

With the pasta:

View attachment 8445

Congrats @buckytom! They look fantastic! So you used the minced garlic instead of the whole crushed cloves as I do..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom