What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to a family restaurant in our old home town to meet with friends we haven't seen in a while. Hubby had a patty melt (beef burger on rye bread with sauteed onions and Swiss cheese, grilled) and french fries/chips. I had a roast beef dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy, mixed fresh veggies, a bowl of homemade chicken soup, and a small serving of rice pudding with a bit of whipped cream - all for $7.99 US (about 6 pounds British). That is ridiculously inexpensive, and the food was amazingly good.

We ARE going to need to diet when we finally get home!

That certainly is good value!

A Nagano pork chop with spaghetti and garlic....
I always learn so much when I come here. I didn't know what Nagano pork was, so I did some research. This sounds like a gorgeous piece of meat. Pork chops are temperamental because they have so little fat in them, but the marbling of this piggy sounds like it leads to a moister (and I'm guessing more flavorful) chop. So, hard as it is to believe, it probably tastes even better than it looks.

I was concerned about where to find this 100% Quebec pork, but apparently they're available at IGA markets, which I can find not far from me. And, yes, I'm going to have to pick some up soon. Thanks for sharing!

IMG_0867.JPG
I just got an "award" for having made my 500th post...and I've only been here since the end of March! :eek:

Anyway, here's my lunch for today. I've been eating the rest of the burgers I made on Monday. I can't get over how good they are, but the ingredients supply a clue to why they're so good: 45% sirloin, 35% chuck, 20% brisket. There's so much BEEF coming through in every bite that I almost don't need to have anything with it. But, of course, I have. Tuesday through Thursday, I brought a plain bun, and had my newly-made arugula pesto and a tomato on it for the first two days, and the sauce vierge yesterday. All these combinations were excellent. But, today, I decided to do something different.

On the left side, you see what looks like Conchigliette (small sea shell) pasta...because that's what it is. Full disclosure: I made a cup-sized portion of Velveeta Shells & Cheese, and added montamore and swiss cheeses to it. I've had mac-and-cheese in place of just cheese on burgers before, but this was a real treat.

Now about that bun...it's a ciabatta roll, What happened there was that I forgot to bring a bun with my burger today, so I went to the cafeteria and bought a sandwich with a similarly-sized bun. I used the arugula and the thin pepper jack cheese that came with it. There's chicken that came with the sandwich that's a bit overcooked, but not too bad. Still, I didn't think it belonged in the sandwich.

What am I going to do for food when the burgers run out?? :cry:

Last edited:
Courgette pizza tonight, but with onions and tomatoes instead of broad beans! I sprinkled all the ingredients of za'atar over it; just couldn't be bothered to grind them up. The lemony taste from the sumac was amazing.

View attachment 10244

@Elawin

Nice idea for a focaccia / pizza or Coca ( Mallorcan Pizza without cheese ) ..

Have a nice weekend ..

During the rare times that I need to go to Bangkok, I always make time to visit my favourite restaurant there. The Bukhara,

@Yorky

There is an amazing Michelin Star Indian Restaurant in Bangkok, called Restaurant Gaggan .. Chef Gaggan also has a Michelin Star Restaurant in Mumbai, India .. When I was in Bangkok, in 2014 December through January 6th, 2015, my husband and I and 2 daughters and their husbands ate at Restaurant Gaggan .. It was simply incredibly .. Highly recommended ..

Restaurant Bukhara, I do not know however, looks wonderful too ..
Have a nice weekend ...

Last edited by a moderator:

There's a story to it.

I was in Delhi in the early 90's and stayed at the Melia Hotel (I think that was the name - it's a Taj Mahal now) and a restaurant in the hotel was called Bukhara.

One time in Bangkok with my sister and wife I saw a restaurant with the same name which we decided to try. In conversation with the manager I discovered that he had actually been the manager of the Bukhara in Delhi and when he relocated to Bangkok, he named the restaurant the same.

There's a story to it.

I was in Delhi in the early 90's and stayed at the Melia Hotel (I think that was the name - it's a Taj Mahal now) and a restaurant in the hotel was called Bukhara.

One time in Bangkok with my sister and wife I saw a restaurant with the same name which we decided to try. In conversation with the manager I discovered that he had actually been the manager of the Bukhara in Delhi and when he relocated to Bangkok, he named the restaurant the same.

@Yorky

We have a saying: " It is a small world " ! Fabulous !

Looks amazingly wonderful ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom