What did you cook or eat today, (January 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cottage pie made with leftover prime rib from Christmas, carrots, peas, onions, rehydrated porcinis and mashies for the top.

2019-01-19 18.48.29.jpg

They look terrific. :okay:
Actually, they were very dry..I ground some steak trim from work thinking that they were going to be terrific, but they didn't turn out that way..I have a few more in the freezer..I think I will make a chili con carne out of them or something else with a sauce to moisten up the meat..

Man that pork looks really yummy. Do you like apple sauce with your pork? I was bought up with pork and apple sauce. I still do it to this day.

Russ
I do like apple sauce with pork..this particular one had Mediterranean style seasoning on it so I made a small pot of gravy from the liquid that accumulated in the sous vide bag..I like eating the left overs as a hot sandwich covered in gravy..

Looks good - I've cooked pork in sos vide too with good results. How long and what temperature did you use in the sous vide?
I've wanted to try a long cooking period for a while so this was in the water for 10 hours at 140..then I finished the outside at 550 for 10 minutes..you may have to do the temp conversion to Celsius..I found that it could have been done just a little more as the cap tended to be a little med-rare..but we will reheat that tonight for left overs..

I've wanted to try a long cooking period for a while so this was in the water for 10 hours at 140..then I finished the outside at 550 for 10 minutes..you may have to do the temp conversion to Celsius..I found that it could have been done just a little more as the cap tended to be a little med-rare..but we will reheat that tonight for left overs..

I've never used a sous vide but I really can't see me starting now. Many of my dishes take time but nothing above 2 hours (chilli con carne). The loin looks good though.

I've never used a sous vide but I really can't see me starting now. Many of my dishes take time but nothing above 2 hours (chilli con carne). The loin looks good though.
I was fine without one, to tell you the truth.. my SO bought me one for my birthday last year..I'm having fun with it..it really does make a difference..but, like any other cooking technique it has it's challenges..takes some trial and error..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom