What did you cook or eat today, (January 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
This is something that you won’t find every day, and you certainly won’t find it in a supermarket. A very mature Tomme de Brebis (ewe’s milk cheese). It arrived here under the cover of darkness last night, wrapped in a brown paper bag. As its provenance is a little uncertain, I won’t offer any more information.

It’s totally unlike any Tomme I’ve ever eaten, and it’s nothing like the Basque brebis cheeses such as Etorki that I relish. If I had to try and describe the taste, it’s a bit like a very good Parmesan with overtones of citrus….but it has such a depth and variety of flavours that that doesn’t really begin to describe it.

A ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ cheese-tasting experience, I think.

Tomme de brebis 1a.jpg

This is something that you won’t find every day, and you certainly won’t find it in a supermarket. A very mature Tomme de Brebis (ewe’s milk cheese). It arrived here under the cover of darkness last night, wrapped in a brown paper bag. As its provenance is a little uncertain, I won’t offer any more information.

It’s totally unlike any Tomme I’ve ever eaten, and it’s nothing like the Basque brebis cheeses such as Etorki that I relish. If I had to try and describe the taste, it’s a bit like a very good Parmesan with overtones of citrus….but it has such a depth and variety of flavours that that doesn’t really begin to describe it.

A ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ cheese-tasting experience, I think.]

My wife would definitely bin that!

Is she a chef?

Reckon it might be more a case of Thai people not traditionally eating cheese at all and the idea of a 'mouldy' looking one is probably very unappetising to them. Having said that, I think that cheese is becoming more acceptable to some Thai people due to fast food restaurants and pizzerias - but really only mozzarella and cheese on burgers, I think. Same goes for China.

I'd definitely eat it though!

Last edited:
Reckon it might be more a case of Thai people not traditionally eating cheese at all and the idea of a 'mouldy' looking one is probably very unappetising to them. Having said that, I think that cheese is becoming more acceptable to some Thai people due to fast food restaurants and pizzerias - but really only mozzarella and cheese on burgers, I think. Same goes for China.

I'd definitely eat it though!

This explanation sounds better than 'definitely bin that'.

Saffron and Marmalade Tea Bread:

View attachment 21980
The slice of bread with butter on it made me immediately think of something that my husband does, and that is butter/marg/jam that side of the bread/toast as well. For me, it had to be the other side so that I bite into the crust correctly ! I know, I'm weird but I was left wondering which side other people use .

Last edited by a moderator:
The slice of bread with butter on it made me immediately think of something that my husband does, and that is butter/marg/jam that side of the bread/toast as well. For me, it had to be the other side so that I bite into the crust correctly ! I know, I'm weird but I was left wondering which side other people use .

Oh - you mean the bread is buttered on the smaller side? Probably an unthinking mistake on my part. I usually would butter the larger side.

This is new to me! Fascinating. Is that a Canadian thing or US as well?
I think it may be common in Northern States. There was a time when most restaurants had one or two on their menu. They are disapearing. They used to be my hang over cure. A hot sandwich and a pint on a Sunday. Then a nap

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom