What did you cook or eat today (July 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually wasn't that sweet at all. There was very little sugar in the waffle batter. The pink peppercorn butter is a compound butter with a little bit of honey and crushed pink peppercorns, and salt and pepper. It was a little too peppery for me so will cut down on that next time. The maple syrup had prepared horseradish and the Creole mustard in it so those 2 things cut down greatly on the sweetness of the syrup. The chicken was soaked in buttermilk with hot sauce, and the flour mixture for the dredge had cayenne in it among other spices.

It's a definite make again with some tweaks. Craig and I both prefer a crispier waffle so I'll adapt the recipe I normally use and add the wild rice, probably increase that a bit as well, and we'll use chicken thighs instead of breast meat next time. The breast meat was the first chicken I came across in the deep freezer and I didn't feel like spelunking for chicken yesterday. And I'll probably make a batter instead of a dredge.

Honestly, even being Southern, I always thought chicken and waffles was a bit odd too, but I tried it once at a place we frequent for breakfast. They serve 1/2 of a whole chicken fried (I always have leftovers) and the syrup they serve with it is mixed with hot sauce. It's actually really good.

It actually wasn't that sweet at all. There was very little sugar in the waffle batter. The pink peppercorn butter is a compound butter with a little bit of honey and crushed pink peppercorns, and salt and pepper. It was a little too peppery for me so will cut down on that next time. The maple syrup had prepared horseradish and the Creole mustard in it so those 2 things cut down greatly on the sweetness of the syrup. The chicken was soaked in buttermilk with hot sauce, and the flour mixture for the dredge had cayenne in it among other spices.

Now I really want to taste this. It sounds like a fascinating and complex mixture of flavours.

Egg and potato dum......

9 s.jpg

11 s.jpg

Not felt like eating lately. Took some left over Malayan Chicken out of the freezer. Ate it more because I knew I had to eat.

To be honest, jackfruit tastes of almost nothing (or at least, the tinned jackfruit I used didn't taste of anything) - its the flavours you put with it which matter.
I'm going to be attending my first cooking class in a long, long time on Saturday...and it's all about cooking with jackfruit! Here are the things we'll be preparing:
  • BBQ Jackfruit Pulled Pork Sandwiches
  • Vegan Jackfruit "Crab" Croquets
  • Power Salad
  • Fresh Dill and Agave topped Sweet Potatoes
  • Watermelon Refreshers
These are all vegan recipes, so the first 2 items use jackfruit in place of the pork and crab. Expect to see jackfruit recipes out of me starting next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom