What did you cook or eat today (July 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made for a second time a bulgogi dish this one was called Dwaeji Bulgogi (Pork in Fire) w/ snow peas lightly sautéed and aged basmati rice.
This looks amazing. I love the look of the glaze: does the "in fire" refer to the preparation over an open flame, or does it mean spices like kind used by @Yorky's wife? :heat: If it's just heat from the gochujang, then I imagine you can actually taste the food.

This looks amazing. I love the look of the glaze: does the "in fire" refer to the preparation over an open flame, or does it mean spices like kind used by @Yorky's wife? :heat: If it's just heat from the gochujang, then I imagine you can actually taste the food.

I cooked it in a cast iron grill on my stove top then threw it on an open charcoal flame at the end to char it a bit. I do it with a few dishes I make. I have small hibachi that once was my camping BBQ but now it is my charring BBQ as it is not big enough for much but for a hamburger or two and is on its last legs though after all the abuse it has suffered over the years of camping. I can get a good flame going quickly and it chars nicely. When I can finally no longer use it I may buy another but would like to find an indoor way if possible without costing massive amounts, So ideas are always welcome.

I cooked it in a cast iron grill on my stove top then threw it on an open charcoal flame at the end to char it a bit. I do it with a few dishes I make. I have small hibachi that once was my camping BBQ but now it is my charring BBQ as it is not big enough for much but for a hamburger or two and is on its last legs though after all the abuse it has suffered over the years of camping. I can get a good flame going quickly and it chars nicely. When I can finally no longer use it I may buy another but would like to find an indoor way if possible without costing massive amounts, So ideas are always welcome.
I like that technique! I have done something similar at times, but very rarely because I only have my full-sized gas grill, and it's rarely worth the bother (plus it's impossible for several months of the year). But, after this post, I'm considering something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Grill-Tabletop-Gas-Grill/55041932
48397b89-06a5-43c7-8687-9a16be36e58d_1.2c4618a5d212e0f101f26f77b040a681.jpg

It's only $32 (USD) at Walmart, and it says it has a 12-burger capacity. The downside for the low cost is that it needs to be assembled, and people have said it takes a few hours. If not this, then maybe something similar.

They also have a charcoal grill for about the same price - with minimal assembly required:

1606b651-ec70-4a5d-a44f-9f0766c290df_1.f731eed1879d7af3e6ab5980e1b92a33.jpg

I'm going to be attending my first cooking class in a long, long time on Saturday...and it's all about cooking with jackfruit! Here are the things we'll be preparing:
  • BBQ Jackfruit Pulled Pork Sandwiches
  • Vegan Jackfruit "Crab" Croquets
  • Power Salad
  • Fresh Dill and Agave topped Sweet Potatoes
  • Watermelon Refreshers
These are all vegan recipes, so the first 2 items use jackfruit in place of the pork and crab. Expect to see jackfruit recipes out of me starting next week.
Oh, brilliant. I look forward to finding out what you learn. I really must experiment with jackfruit more.

A complete and utter cheat day.

Fray Bentos Minced Beef and Onion Pie that was just going out of date, some oven wedgies and a corn on the cob. There is 'something' about those Fray Bentos pies isn't there? They should be condemned as completely yuck but there is something appealing about them, perhaps because they've been around as long as I can remember? Odd how the 'crispy puff pastry' turns into a glutinous sludge once you cut through it, and again I think that is part of their strange appeal, it's been like that since I was grass high to a knee hopper.
And I will say they are marvellous things to have in a motorhome or boat. I usually keep one or two in the pantry as 'emergency rations' for when I don't have the time or inspiration to cook.

DSC_0121.jpg

You deserve it!

Fray Bentos Minced Beef and Onion Pie that was just going out of date

How coincidental. I was chatting to someone about the curious 'tinned pie'. There is a thread somewhere about them (mainly me and @Yorky participating). I will try and dredge it up.

Well, we couldn't find the pulled pork (we have 3 freezers that are pretty much stuffed and we are trying to clean out some) we were going to use in a dish, so had to change plans and made a simple rice dish with ground beef, chili powder, cumin, mixed frozen veges, onion, garlic, and canned tomatoes. Not very pretty but tasty.

(we have 3 freezers that are pretty much stuffed and we are trying to clean out some)

Haha, I'm continually trying to clean out my freezers. The problem is, I make a bit of space in a freezer, pop to the shop and immediately think "Oh, those lamb chops are on special." and "wowsers that diced pork is BOGOF", "that cod looks good."
Next thing I know the freezers are crammed again!

Long story.

Tomorrow is Asanha Bucha in Thailand (อาสาฬหบูชา) a Theravada Buddhist festival so for reasons unknown to anyone still alive, alcohol is not permitted to be sold. Therefore the hotel snooker hall will be dry. I'm no Bill Werbeniuk but to play snooker without beer is just not an option. So, being versatile, we re-scheduled the contest for today (Thirstday) - clever, eh? The downside is that my usual Hainanese chicken rice stall is closed on Thirstdays so alternative arrangements had to be made. I went for cha sui and pork wantons with string egg noodles from the afternoon market (with chilli sauce which was sweet but not over the top). Two portions here for just less than a quid.

Pork noodles 2 s.jpg

Long story.

Tomorrow is Asanha Bucha in Thailand (อาสาฬหบูชา) a Theravada Buddhist festival so for reasons unknown to anyone still alive, alcohol is not permitted to be sold. Therefore the hotel snooker hall will be dry. I'm no Bill Werbeniuk but to play snooker without beer is just not an option. So, being versatile, we re-scheduled the contest for today (Thirstday) - clever, eh? The downside is that my usual Hainanese chicken rice stall is closed on Thirstdays so alternative arrangements had to be made. I went for cha sui and pork wantons with string egg noodles from the afternoon market (with chilli sauce which was sweet but not over the top). Two portions here for just less than a quid.

We won 3 -1 at the snooker.

snooker s.jpg

Fray Bentos Minced Beef and Onion Pie that was just going out of date, some oven wedgies and a corn on the cob. There is 'something' about those Fray Bentos pies isn't there? They should be condemned as completely yuck but there is something appealing about them, perhaps because they've been around as long as I can remember? Odd how the 'crispy puff pastry' turns into a glutinous sludge once you cut through it, and again I think that is part of their strange appeal, it's been like that since I was grass high to a knee hopper.
And I will say they are marvellous things to have in a motorhome or boat. I usually keep one or two in the pantry as 'emergency rations' for when I don't have the time or inspiration to cook.

View attachment 17704

See here for the form thread about Fray Bentos Pies!
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/fray-bentos-steak-and-kidney-pie.9012/

Chocolate Brownies.

Slightly overcooked the cake, it's from an old 70's recipe (I can post it in appropriate forum if you like) and knowing that new ovens are in general more efficient than old ovens, especially modern fan ovens I dropped the temp by 10° and reduced the time by 5 minutes. Next time I'll probably drop by 20°, I can always cook it a tad longer if required.
Was reasonably tasty.

DSC_0122.jpg

Chocolate Brownies.

Slightly overcooked the cake, it's from an old 70's recipe (I can post it in appropriate forum if you like) and knowing that new ovens are in general more efficient than old ovens, especially modern fan ovens I dropped the temp by 10° and reduced the time by 5 minutes. Next time I'll probably drop by 20°, I can always cook it a tad longer if required.
Was reasonably tasty.

View attachment 17721

They look fantastic! Please do post the recipe. We are short on cake recipes on the Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom