What did you cook or eat today (July 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a dumpling recipe that reminds me of how my mom used to make them when I was young (she can't remember anymore since it's been such a long time!) Do you have something you can share?

Do you remember anything at all about them? What did she serve them with? There are so many kinds of dumplings it would be impossible to help without more info.

Salmon with Mango Salsa.
Salmon
Pink, green and white peppercorns
New potatoes
Watercress
Mango
spring onion
Coriander
Lime Juice
EVO
Tabasco

DSC_0113b.jpg

It doesn't show it very well but the mango salsa is to the right of the pic.

DSC_0113.jpg

Do you remember anything at all about them? What did she serve them with? There are so many kinds of dumplings it would be impossible to help without more info.
I recall that they were "floating" on top of a chicken gravy with bits of chicken in it. When I say "floating", I mean that it was basically a big pan that went from corner-to-corner with a massive dumpling comprising the top layer...you only knew there was anything under it by cutting into it. This is what I loved about it: the dumplings are always the best part.

I recall that they were "floating" on top of a chicken gravy with bits of chicken in it. When I say "floating", I mean that it was basically a big pan that went from corner-to-corner with a massive dumpling comprising the top layer...you only knew there was anything under it by cutting into it. This is what I loved about it: the dumplings are always the best part.

So basically chicken and dumplings. Honestly, I usually use the Bisquick recipe for dumplings OR canned biscuits. My girlfriend's sister made the "best" dumplings according to her family but wouldn't give anybody her recipe. One day, my girlfriend walked into the kitchen and caught her cutting canned biscuit dough horizontally and putting them in the pan with the chicken and gravy. There is also a Paul Prudhomme recipe for dumplings that is absolutely great, but, if you have ever made one of his recipes you know how involved it is. I'll type it out for you if you want, but be aware it is complicated and takes time.

The usual Friday evening fare for after the snooker (we lost 1 - 3 but our win was virtually a whitewash). However, I'm sure that every time the sauce gets hotter in an effort to beat me (she got very close today).

Hainanese chicken rice:

served 6 s.jpg

So basically chicken and dumplings. Honestly, I usually use the Bisquick recipe for dumplings OR canned biscuits. My girlfriend's sister made the "best" dumplings according to her family but wouldn't give anybody her recipe. One day, my girlfriend walked into the kitchen and caught her cutting canned biscuit dough horizontally and putting them in the pan with the chicken and gravy. There is also a Paul Prudhomme recipe for dumplings that is absolutely great, but, if you have ever made one of his recipes you know how involved it is. I'll type it out for you if you want, but be aware it is complicated and takes time.
It is quite possible that my mom used the canned biscuit dough...I was a child, though, and I loved it!

I would certainly be willing to try making Paul Prudhomme's recipe: If there's one thing that's always been true about me in the kitchen, it's that I usually don't do things the easy way. If you do have time (and, please, take your time posting it), can you add it to a recipe forum so others don't miss it? Thanks!

Grilling here too. Italian style chicken sausage (with extra fennel seed for extra Italiano :bbq: ), a red bell pepper, and sweet onions tonight.

0713181738b_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
A pork fillet for today. I prefer the loin but the shop didn't have any.

1 s.jpg

4 s.jpg

Last night was soft tacos (beef) and fixins. Guacamole, pickled red onions and sour cream.

A salsa for later.

chillis s.jpg

processed s.jpg

It wasn't as spicy as I expected. Still bloody hot though and no doubt the heat will increase overnight in the fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom