What did you cook or eat today (November 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spent close to five minutes trying to figure out if the photo in the OP is pork or chicken, and how it was cooked. :facepalm:

CD

This Saturday I'm gonna go all out.

3 course
1. Buratta on bell pepper relish, garlic bread
2. Entrecote, demiglace, roast potatoes and Brussels sprouts
3. Two Panna cotta, Mango and lime

No phone service since yesterday. AT&T says network is down. Hopefully it will be back soon.

DD showed up last night with KFC.

I just spent close to five minutes trying to figure out if the photo in the OP is pork or chicken, and how it was cooked. :facepalm:

CD
I'd say pork loin and sone kind of paste rubbed in. Given there is an avocado in upper right corner, going to go with an annatto and/or chile based rub/paste.

IMG_6629.jpeg
IMG_6630.jpeg
IMG_6631.jpeg
IMG_6632.jpeg

MrsT also had prosciutto and melon as a starter.

Steak and kidney pie. The filling was my best work yet and has completely converted my steak and kidney hating son! The pastry was ok but not sterling. Gluten free pastry is always hit n miss, usually because what I really want is a suet pudding. Using flat iron steak (chuck steak to those of us old enough not to fooled by a rebrand) rather than bog standard stewing steak was worth every penny.

Made peanut butter apple crumble for pud but peeps are to full for that at the moment. Small amount of carrot and swede mash for me as the pie was plenty enough on it’s own.

IMG_1342.jpeg

Using flat iron steak (chuck steak to those of us old enough not to fooled by a rebrand) rather than bog standard stewing steak was worth every penny.

View attachment 106652

Looks good. :okay:

Flat Iron Steak and Chuck Steak are different cuts here. They come from the same part of the cow, but a Flat Iron Steak is not the same, from my experience. People here sometimes call it "poor man's tenderloin/filet mignon." It is very tender. I love it.

CD

Looks good. :okay:

Flat Iron Steak and Chuck Steak are different cuts here. They come from the same part of the cow, but a Flat Iron Steak is not the same, from my experience. People here sometimes call it "poor man's tenderloin/filet mignon." It is very tender. I love it.

CD

Interesting. Flat iron was never sold as steak here until very recently. It was considered a stewing meat.

I reluctantly tried one as a steak thinking it would be awful as it’s comparatively cheap and the only other cheap steak I’ve tried are the ultra thin flash fry steaks and they are not worth chewing!

I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it, it was pre- marinated so I guess that would have altered it a fair bit. But even plainly seasoned before joining the other ingredients the flat iron was lovely.

I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it, it was pre- marinated so I guess that would have altered it a fair bit. But even plainly seasoned before joining the other ingredients the flat iron was lovely.

Flat iron steak first appeared here in the early 2000s. Kroger stores made it popular when they started to carry it in the mid 2000s.

It got popular in restaurants for a while, which ran the price up, but that fad passed, and now it is a relatively cheap cut, again. I always have some vacuum sealed in the freezer.

I've never used it for stewing. I always cook it like a good steak -- nice char on the outside, and medium rare inside. It is really tender, even though it is relatively lean.

CD

Last edited:
Flat iron steak first appeared here in the early 2000s. Kroger stores made it popular when they started to carry it in the mid 2000s.

It got popular in restaurants for a while, which ran the price up, but that fad passed, and now it is a relatively cheap cut, again. I always have some vacuum sealed in the freezer.

I've never used it for stewing. I always cook it like a good steak -- nice char on the outside, and medium rare inside. It is really tender, even though it is relatively lean.

CD

I did just that! Cooked the pie filling similarly to steak, seared the outside and left the inside rare. Filled the blind baked pastry with the hot filling and baked it to crisp the pastry lid for just 15 mins resulting in medium rare cubes of steak.

I think that was the key to it being so well received, juicy cubes of steak, it was lean so no need to render the fat down but also tender and juicy. Will definitely take that route again.

Bavette steak also appeared around the same time which I believe for us is skirt but dont quote me on that. Its a fattier cut and I don’t think it would produce such nice results in a pie unless slow cooked.

Do you have Bavette in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom