What did you cook or eat today (November 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last night a Japanese restaurant.
I had the udon noodles with chicken. It was too smoky and " just ok".
I chose okinomiyoky but again disappointed as my daughter makes it twice as good as theirs.
Daughter has been to japan.
Overall I was 5/10. Everyone else's meals were good.

Russ

20231101_183656.jpg
20231101_184006.jpg

Its a different cut from skirt as we knew it, apparently*. I've been buying it recently from Morrisons and I'm quite impressed - cooked rare on a high heat. Morrisons charge a fraction of the price of the butcher cited below!

*Bavette Beef skirt steak - Salter & King Craft Butchers.
I also buy mine from Morrisons. I‘m very impressed by the quality of their meat and the prices. But I think they started life as a Butchers?

Do you have Bavette in the US?

Yes we do, but I've never seen it in a grocery store. It is also called Flap Steak here.

Skirt steak is also known by it's Mexican name, Fajita, here in Texas. It is heavily used in Mexican cooking. It needs a good, long marinade, and hot/fast cooking to medium rare. It can be chewy, even when prepared and cooked right. It usually gets stuck between my teeth. But, it has really good flavor, especially cooked over a wood fire.

Fajita tacos are now just called fajitas, and people use all kinds of meats, including shrimp, and call them fajitas.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom