What foods have you recently tried for the first time?

I guess made fresh was/is another thing .. did you eat it too?
Very rarely. Neither me or my brother cared for peanut butter.
Now my husband will mix peanut butter and honey or peanut butter and fake maple syrup to put on Ritz crackers.

I had an Indian coconut soup recently. I was expecting it to be like Thai coconut soup, which I love. But, instead of being spicy and served hot, it was sweet and served cold. It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't something I wanted to finish.

Nope, never. But now that there is, I want to try it with some ingredients. Until now I have tried it on cracked slices with fresh blueberries.
Grape jelly is a sort of jam?
When using fruit something with peanut butter, my first choice is cherry preserves.
You can make your own peanut butter if you have a sturdy food processor. Shelled and skinned roasted peanuts in, whir-whir, and peanut butter - tada!

Oh! Oh! You're in Italy! Nutella!!! Personally, I think Nutella spread is too sweet, but peanut butter and chocolate are a very nice combination. If you have Nutella in your pantry, you might want to try it with the peanut butter. Danger! Calorie Overload!

When using fruit something with peanut butter, my first choice is cherry preserves.
You can make your own peanut butter if you have a sturdy food processor. Shelled and skinned roasted peanuts in, whir-whir, and peanut butter - tada!

Oh! Oh! You're in Italy! Nutella!!! Personally, I think Nutella spread is too sweet, but peanut butter and chocolate are a very nice combination. If you have Nutella in your pantry, you might want to try it with the peanut butter. Danger! Calorie Overload!

:laugh: Yes Nutella! I have it in my pantry and I try to eat it not often...it's a calories bomb! And also for me is too sweet but I must admit that in the crepes it's fantastic! Nutella+peanuts butter is a greedy tentation....but maybe is too much. Sometimes I prepare nutella homemade...not a really nutella but most genuine. Anyway, I think I'm gonna try peanuts butter in the crepes with jam, fresh fruit and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.....I'll let you know :)

On holiday this year we had fries that had been given a sprinkle of salt & paprika mixed together, it actually worked very well.

I recently tried Thai green aubergines and wasn't very impressed. Perhaps they weren't very good ones. The other new ingredient I have is tonka beans. They are banned in USA but have something of a cult status. They have a very pungent aroma and not really like anything I've come across. The nearest description I can come up with is something like honeysuckle and vanilla. I have yet to use them in a dish...

We tried geoduck a few months ago. Watched a video on how to clean it. Interesting experience cleaning it, but it was absolutely delicious. We shared one the first time, but we want our own next time the Oriental market has them when we visit. WARNING, NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH..... OR VEGETARIANS/VEGANS!

You start the cleaning process with them alive by cutting open the shell and removing the body, then dipping the siphon in boiling water to get the skin off. Cut the siphon in half lengthwise and clean out any gunk in a basin of salt water. Remove the organs, rinse the belly and slice for the body. We prepared it exactly like Hung does in his You Tube video, a crudo preparation and a fried belly prep. As I was cutting the siphon, I could feel the muscle contractions in it, and it curled up at the edges just like his did.

As Karen mentioned we had the geoduck, we've also had Uni (sea urchin gonads) and a friend from California gave me some abalone. We had never tried it before. When we prepared it as he suggested, I found a huge flavor similarity to conch (Queen conch). The next batch was substituted for conch in my fritter recipe. I still have a whole one in our deep freezer. Now California is closing abalone season indefinitely. Florida closed queen conch harvesting for 10 years back in 1977. We still can't take conch in Florida in 2017. Most of the conch we get comes from the Bahamas.

You start the cleaning process with them alive by cutting open the shell and removing the body, then dipping the siphon in boiling water to get the skin off. Cut the siphon in half lengthwise and clean out any gunk in a basin of salt water. Remove the organs, rinse the belly and slice for the body. We prepared it exactly like Hung does in his You Tube video, a crudo preparation and a fried belly prep. As I was cutting the siphon, I could feel the muscle contractions in it, and it curled up at the edges just like his did.

Eeww! Not sure I could do that... :sick: I would still eat it though. :happy:

I recently tried Thai green aubergines and wasn't very impressed. Perhaps they weren't very good ones. The other new ingredient I have is tonka beans. They are banned in USA but have something of a cult status. They have a very pungent aroma and not really like anything I've come across. The nearest description I can come up with is something like honeysuckle and vanilla. I have yet to use them in a dish...

We have had tonka bean in a custard at a fancy restaurant, tastes a bit like vanilla, rather nice.

Back
Top Bottom