What is your favourite bread?

Bread is a bit of a passion & it's hard not to eat it 3 times a day. Or more.

I love it so much and have pedantic preferences for different meals and occasions though.

Sandwich bread is generally whole grain multigrain - either a 5 grain or soy & linseed. For salady sandwiches or toast. (Yes, with Vegemite)

White bread is usually the Italian sliced pane from Aldi. We don't have a wood fired bakery locally.

We eat chicken burgers on Turkish bread rolls, beef burgers on fresh white buns, with middle eastern it's always flatbread, with curry it's usually home made naan, for soups it's home made sour dough - I've just started making this again recently - my "mother" is only a month old. I really want a tortilla press.

...and like Morning Glory, white sliced is for hot chip sandwiches - we even have a preferred loaf of it that comes from a local Vietnamese French bakery and luckily the independent grocery next to the take away usually stocks it. My 14yo son & hubby prefer "poison white bread" from the supermarket for just about everything. They will even put Asian stir fries and curries on it :eek: His favourite treat is leftover roast pork or lamb with Tom yum paste used as spread on square white bread. (The horror!)

@Herbie - I was watching a doco on sourdough recently and it looks like all the gluten issues we are seeing now are attributed to the way flour is processed. They strip away the part of the grain that has the enzyme to help break down the gluten and so in the 100 years or so of industrialising the process we've managed to damage the health of a huge portion of the western world.

The sourdough bacteria eat the gluten so if you eat sour dough made on whole grain flour there's a fairly reduced quantity of gluten in there, which is how we ate bread for Millenia which I think explains why we can't tolerate the much higher levels of gluten in commercially produced bread.

...I was watching a doco on sourdough recently and it looks like all the gluten issues we are seeing now are attributed to the way flour is processed. They strip away the part of the grain that has the enzyme to help break down the gluten and so in the 100 years or so of industrialising the process we've managed to damage the health of a huge portion of the western world...
I had read this a while ago. Since then, whenever I buy flour for my own bread, I get a Heritage Grain flour. Our daughter lives near Amish bulk supply stores in Ohio. Many of the flours they sell can trace their lineage to before the Great Dust Bowl era, before wheat was modified to withstand droughts and other harsh conditions. Unfortunately, I don't bake all of our bread. You do what you can do.

BTW, I love the name you give the bread your men prefer: "poison white bread". When I grocery shop and buy pop (soda, Coke, whatever), I refer to it as my hubby's garbage water.

Garbage water made my sauv blanc almost come out my nose.:giggle:

I’m visiting a local food co-op tomorrow. I’m going to join I think. Their pricing is excellent & I’m going to ask about decent flours for my sour dough. I found I bleached flour in Coles but it’s still not exactly what I want.

Back
Top Bottom