What methods or equipment do you use to deep fry?

We get fried chicken from a local grocery store chain.

I've never cooked fried chicken! I think I will have to try it (messy or not). We have KFC here but its not something I've bought since my kids were little. Fried chicken is very much an American tradition and there aren't that many places here apart from KFC which sell it. What would you guys over the pond recommend as a coating for the chicken?

I've never cooked fried chicken! I think I will have to try it (messy or not). We have KFC here but its not something I've bought since my kids were little. Fried chicken is very much an American tradition and there aren't that many places here apart from KFC which sell it. What would you guys over the pond recommend as a coating for the chicken?

I always use flour. Sometimes with corn meal. I think bread crumbs would tend to burn before the inside is done!! :eek:

I use this strainer to filter and store used oil.

oil filter.jpg

Panko bread crumbs can also be used.

I cannot imagine that we can get those here. If I use bread crumbs (which is rare) I use my spice grinder to crumb any 'passed it's sell by date' bread that we have.

I've had a few deep fat fryers in the past, but got rid of them as I hardly used them and they took up too much space. On the very rare occasion I need to deep fry something I'll use oil in a pan - size and shape of which depends on the size and shape of what I'm frying. For things like schnitzels I also tend to only partially cook them in the oil - just until the coating is crispy, and then finish them off on a rack in a hot oven.

What about the Acti-fry- the one where you use a thimble of oil and magically cook chips? Has anyone had experience of those? I'm probably off topic but its 'compare and contrast' :).
The Actifry is great for things like chips and fried potatoes - they come out almost as good as deep fried ones but with far less fat :okay: You can also use it for ready-made breaded/battered items (mushrooms, chicken, fish etc) if you take out the rotating paddle, but you can't use it for making those kind of things from scratch.

In terms of size it probably takes up as much space as a deep fat fryer, but its much easier and cleaner (no dirty fat hanging around) so I prefer it.

What about the Acti-fry- the one where you use a thimble of oil and magically cook chips? Has anyone had experience of those? I'm probably off topic but its 'compare and contrast' :).

I looked at "Actifry" before we bought our deep fry. Discounted it as it is useless for cooking battered fish, pakoras, onion bhajis, fried chicken, etc.

As Karen said, we have stopped using our counter top fryer. Though I do remember that as soon as the food went in, the temp would drop 20F to 30F. I'm guessing this is due to the type of thermostat used and the "cut in" temperature.

I used a mix called Golden Dipt Extra Crispy when I fried chicken. It had a texture very similar to KFC's extra crispy chicken. A lot of people will soak the chicken in buttermilk and then dip in seasoned flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic/onion powder, etc, whatever combo they like, and fry, or make a batter with buttermilk and dip the chicken in that after patting it dry and giving it a light coating of flour to help the batter stick.

I used a mix called Golden Dipt Extra Crispy when I fried chicken. It had a texture very similar to KFC's extra crispy chicken. A lot of people will soak the chicken in buttermilk and then dip in seasoned flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic/onion powder, etc, whatever combo they like, and fry, or make a batter with buttermilk and dip the chicken in that after patting it dry and giving it a light coating of flour to help the batter stick.

OK. What cut of chicken would you normally use?

Back
Top Bottom