What one fish/seafood do you dislike the most?

I'm waiting on Yorky on this one.

Westerners eat really "normal" fish, for the most part. Asians eat anything that crawls, slithers, or slimes along both on land and in the water.

About all that I can come up with so far are sea squirts. No thanks. I'm not necessarily homophobic, but I don't even like that gum that squirts in my mouth.

Bah dum, dum, crash.

But seriously, I like almost all other fish or seafood if well prepared (both the fish and myself).

I've had it raw with gochujang, but I've alao seen it pickled. No thanks. It tastes like chemicals.

OK, that made me think of another one. I've never had good shark before. It tadyes like ammonia, I guess because sharks urinate through their skin, or so I've been told. Once they die, the ammonia builds up in the flesh.

There are a few scaled finned fish that I do not care for very much:
1) Spanish Mackeral
2) Spanish Fresh White Tuna ( not the tinned or canned or jarred tuna for tuna salad ). I am a grand fan of Red Tuna.
3) Filet of Sole.
4) Flounder.

There are no shellfish, no crustaceans or Bivales ( oysters) or cephalopods, that I do not like ..

Have a lovely day ..

I was reading an article yesterday that listed a number of things this person didn't like about x, y or z... It got me thinking. When I ate fish, I used to hate eating sardines. I really hate the smell, even now of a can of open sardines. It makes me want to gag.

So I was wondering, having never tried anything much in the way of seafood in general, what is the single one fish or bit of seafood you don't like the most? Just one, not meat but fish or seafood.
Don't like blue fish...first time I had it seemed to have a very oily taste...haven't tried this then.

Bluefish is very oily. When you catch them, they immediately need to be bled, then the lateral line removed before filleting them. Otherwise, they are too stinky/fishy.

Another fish we don't get in the UK and I've never heard of. Off to Google yet again...

@morning glory

Blue Fish: The blue fish is a North American species predominately found in the Caribbean / Miami Regions.

It´s Latin name is: Pomatomidae .. Pomatomidae Saltatrix ..

It is called Anjova in Spanish and in French, Tassergal ..

It is uncommon in Spain and Portugal .. Furthermore, it is carniverous and eats smaller fish.

The flesh is quite rich and it is a blue variety ( not White ) is best grilled or baked ..

This species is a total rarity in The Mediterranean or Northern E.U. including the British Isles ..

It is approx. 75 kilos .. This is a big fish ..

Have a lovely evening.

Have you ever caught or cooked any? I have; dozens and dozens since I was able to lift a rod.

They are from many areas of the world, but from all over the Atlantic.

Their skin is blue-ish, with muted green and grayish white. Their flesh is grayish white, with darker areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
In @Francesca's defense, she may not realize that two fish can have the same name.
Or one fish can have several different names depending on the country.

Think of how many different trout or bass we have here in the states.
Or even deer. Oh we saw two white tail does running across the Interstate today. They were between Odessa and Midland. Mule deer are a bit farther north.

Last edited:
In @Francesca's defense, she may not realize that two fish can have the same name.
I googled - I think it is a fish which is found in sub-tropical water? So not at all around the UK. Lets just do the wiki thing and then @buckytom can tell us if that is the fish he means:

Wikipedia:
The bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix) is the only extant species of the family Pomatomidae. It is a marine pelagic fish found around the world in temperate and subtropical waters, except for the northern Pacific Ocean. Bluefish are known as tailor in Australia,[2] shad on the east coast of South Africa, and elf on the western North American coast.[citation needed] Other common names are blue, chopper, and anchoa.[3] It is a popular gamefish.
The bluefish is a moderately proportioned fish, with a broad, forked tail. The spiny first dorsal fin is normally folded back in a groove, as are its pectoral fins. Coloration is a grayish blue-green dorsally, fading to white on the lower sides and belly. Its single row of teeth in each jaw is uniform in size, knife-edged, and sharp. Bluefish commonly range in size from seven-inch (18-cm) "snappers" to much larger, sometimes weighing as much as 40 lb (18 kg), though fish heavier than 20 lb (9 kg) are exceptional.

Think of how many different trout or bass we have here in the states.
Or even deer. Oh we saw two white tail does running across the Interstate today. They were between Odessa and Midland. Mule deer are a bit farther north.

While there are many kinds of bass, trout, snapper, and jack, I know of only 1 kind of Bluefish.

They range as far north as Nova Scotia, and I 've heard of fisherman in southern Ireland catching them, but that is probably very rare and may have to do with the Gulf Stream.
(Btw, young Bluefish are called snappers here.)

http://www.cptdave.com/bluefish.html

@buckytom

Definitely, fish can be named 1 thing in 1 country and another name in another country ..

Example: Amberjack ( extraordinarily popular in Sicily ) is called: Rudder fish in the Usa ..

Have a nice day ..

Thank you for all your research ..

Back
Top Bottom