What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bananas are in season again. I was going to say "you can't give them away" but ................... These were given to us yesterday.

Bananas s.jpg

A quick stop in the supermarket to pick up some flour, rice, Harina PAN (for making arepas) plus the trendy version, semillas nutritivas,(harina PAN with chia and quinoa).
Then some bread (it's called "Grandma's loaf" - no idea why), an avocado (800 gms), some onions, peppers and, on the far left, ají dulce (sweet chile).
Aji dulce is an essential ingredient in Venezuelan cooking. It's basically a hot pepper which transformed into a mild one. Theory has it that it started as an habanero pepper and then, for some reason or another , gradually got weaker in strength, but with all the flavour of an habanero. These particular specimens are something I've never seen before, because they're huge. I'm going to stuff them with something (probably the neighbour's cat) and stick them in the oven.
Today's purchases.jpg

A quick stop in the supermarket to pick up some flour, rice, Harina PAN (for making arepas) plus the trendy version, semillas nutritivas,(harina PAN with chia and quinoa).
Then some bread (it's called "Grandma's loaf" - no idea why), an avocado (800 gms), some onions, peppers and, on the far left, ají dulce (sweet chile).
Aji dulce is an essential ingredient in Venezuelan cooking. It's basically a hot pepper which transformed into a mild one. Theory has it that it started as an habanero pepper and then, for some reason or another , gradually got weaker in strength, but with all the flavour of an habanero. These particular specimens are something I've never seen before, because they're huge. I'm going to stuff them with something (probably the neighbour's cat) and stick them in the oven.
View attachment 107557

It would be great to see you post more Venezuelan food and recipes. You mostly post Indian food... along with every other Brit here. I'd love to see some "traditional" Venezuelan dishes. :hungry:

CD

A pint of Cayennes.

I have at least a dozen fully ripe cayenne peppers on my cayenne plant right now. I need to use some, and freeze some. I still have a bunch of green ones, too.

Oh, I picked one today and tasted it. :pepper:My late season chili peppers are always hotter than average, by a lot.

CD

View attachment 107557

the peppers look fab. I've used aji peppers before but only the dried sort which do have a fantastic taste. I think I have aji limone too, also dried.

This came through the post yesterday. It's from my husband's American company.

View attachment 107708View attachment 107709

The mug comes in a matching box that can easily be repurposed.

Looks good, most of it. How much can you eat? The chocolates are vegan. The honey comes from an animal, so I guess that's out. How about the gingerbread cookies? I love those. I love fresh honey, too.

CD

Looks good, most of it. How much can you eat? The chocolates are vegan. The honey comes from an animal, so I guess that's out. How about the gingerbread cookies? I love those. I love fresh honey, too.

CD
This year, all of it except the honey. Hubby made comments last year that there were no vegan options available and I literally couldn't eat anything from that hamper. So it's good that they've taken that on-board. Maybe the food at the Christmas (16th) do will actually feature something other than gluten-free bread and hummus which was all I got last year! (The ordinary bread had dairy in it!)

Technically this is the vegan hamper. They just haven't twigged that honey isn't vegan, only vegetarian. Luckily I'm not too fussed about honey. I find it too sweet for me, but I do use lemon and honey strepsils (cough or throat lozenges), but I don't buy honey to eat. We do sometimes get given honey from a colleague in exchange for eggs. He has several hives.

I'm still more vegetarian minus dairy, than vegan plus eggs from my own chooks. I knit with wool because a lot of synthetic stuff isn't biodegradable or compostable. Acrylic, polyester, nylon is all still from oil. More of the plant based materials are getting friendlier to the environment now, but I do actively avoid some such as cheap bamboo (organic or closed system bamboo fibre is fine). I'm happier if things can be recycled and not take decades/centuries to decompose. Wool is significantly more degradable than say acrylic or polyester.

So I hang on the "environmentally friendly fence, protect the planet as a whole fence" more than the vegan "protect only animals fence", if that makes sense.

But honey, well bees have enough problems and I would rather we help them than exploit them. I appreciate that the hive, wax and honey is 'lost' at the end of each year, I just think we could better manage the production and take care of bees better in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom