What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year, all of it except the honey. Hubby made comments last year that there were no vegan options available and I literally couldn't eat anything from that hamper. So it's good that they've taken that on-board. Maybe the food at the Christmas (16th) do will actually feature something other than gluten-free bread and hummus which was all I got last year! (The ordinary bread had dairy in it!)

Technically this is the vegan hamper. They just haven't twigged that honey isn't vegan, only vegetarian. Luckily I'm not too fussed about honey. I find it too sweet for me, but I do use lemon and honey strepsils (cough or throat lozenges), but I don't buy honey to eat. We do sometimes get given honey from a colleague in exchange for eggs. He has several hives.

I'm still more vegetarian minus dairy, than vegan plus eggs from my own chooks. I knit with wool because a lot of synthetic stuff isn't biodegradable or compostable. Acrylic, polyester, nylon is all still from oil. More of the plant based materials are getting friendlier to the environment now, but I do actively avoid some such as cheap bamboo (organic or closed system bamboo fibre is fine). I'm happier if things can be recycled and not take decades/centuries to decompose. Wool is significantly more degradable than say acrylic or polyester.

So I hang on the "environmentally friendly fence, protect the planet as a whole fence" more than the vegan "protect only animals fence", if that makes sense.

But honey, well bees have enough problems and I would rather we help them than exploit them. I appreciate that the hive, wax and honey is 'lost' at the end of each year, I just think we could better manage the production and take care of bees better in general.
Tell me about the bamboo thing?

I found some pork ribs in the freezer and because of my current eating difficulties I decided to try slow cooking them so that "the meat falls off the bone" (I usually barbecue them or roast them in the halogen oven).

I intend to slow cook them tomorrow in barbecue sauce with garlic, honey and Worcestershire sauce. Consequently my wife bought this today.

Bbq sauce 1 s.jpg

Just to clarify I’m not implying this is what you do Yorky!
I really struggle with bbq flavoured things. It can be really lovely sweet sour salty smokey flavours but often it seems to involve slathering stuff in a boat load of sauce as strong as tomato ketchup.

As a result if I see ‘BBQ’ on a menu I avoid it like the plague.

Anyone else avoid BBQ sauce on a menu?

Generally, yes. While there are loads and loads of varieties, when you’re talking about the typical ketchup-molasses-brown sugar concoction that seems to be the standard barbecue sauce, it’s just not a very versatile product to me.

What I mean is, I like it on ribs, I like it on pulled pork, but I can’t stomach it on nachos and pizza and burgers and incorporated into macaroni-and-cheese and everything else they do with it these days. I don’t like it as a dip for fries or chips/crisps, or even chicken fingers, for that matter (though I do like barbecued chicken).

Generally, yes. While there are loads and loads of varieties, when you’re talking about the typical ketchup-molasses-brown sugar concoction that seems to be the standard barbecue sauce, it’s just not a very versatile product to me.

What I mean is, I like it on ribs, I like it on pulled pork, but I can’t stomach it on nachos and pizza and burgers and incorporated into macaroni-and-cheese and everything else they do with it these days. I don’t like it as a dip for fries or chips/crisps, or even chicken fingers, for that matter (though I do like barbecued chicken).
I don’t mind the thinnest of thin coatings on meat but for me it over powers everything else. Nigella had a BBQ sauce recipe I liked but I have so many cookery books who knows which book that was from?!

This year, all of it except the honey. Hubby made comments last year that there were no vegan options available and I literally couldn't eat anything from that hamper. So it's good that they've taken that on-board. Maybe the food at the Christmas (16th) do will actually feature something other than gluten-free bread and hummus which was all I got last year! (The ordinary bread had dairy in it!)

Technically this is the vegan hamper. They just haven't twigged that honey isn't vegan, only vegetarian. Luckily I'm not too fussed about honey. I find it too sweet for me, but I do use lemon and honey strepsils (cough or throat lozenges), but I don't buy honey to eat. We do sometimes get given honey from a colleague in exchange for eggs. He has several hives.

I'm still more vegetarian minus dairy, than vegan plus eggs from my own chooks. I knit with wool because a lot of synthetic stuff isn't biodegradable or compostable. Acrylic, polyester, nylon is all still from oil. More of the plant based materials are getting friendlier to the environment now, but I do actively avoid some such as cheap bamboo (organic or closed system bamboo fibre is fine). I'm happier if things can be recycled and not take decades/centuries to decompose. Wool is significantly more degradable than say acrylic or polyester.

So I hang on the "environmentally friendly fence, protect the planet as a whole fence" more than the vegan "protect only animals fence", if that makes sense.

But honey, well bees have enough problems and I would rather we help them than exploit them. I appreciate that the hive, wax and honey is 'lost' at the end of each year, I just think we could better manage the production and take care of bees better in general.

I try to go easy on the planet, so kids being born now don't get hosed. As for animals, I've watched how animals die in the wild on videos. We dispatch them in a far better way than a lion dispatches a zebra. They start eating while the zebra is still alive. Wolves are not "humane" when they shop the sheep farm for some fresh mutton. I'm sure you know what coyotes and hawks do to chickens.

CD

Just to clarify I’m not implying this is what you do Yorky!
I really struggle with bbq flavoured things. It can be really lovely sweet sour salty smokey flavours but often it seems to involve slathering stuff in a boat load of sauce as strong as tomato ketchup.

As a result if I see ‘BBQ’ on a menu I avoid it like the plague.

You would like Texas BBQ. Traditionally, just smoked, no sauce. Some BBQ pits don't even offer sauce as an option. If you ask for it, they will give you the hairy eyeball.

CD

I found some pork ribs in the freezer and because of my current eating difficulties I decided to try slow cooking them so that "the meat falls off the bone" (I usually barbecue them or roast them in the halogen oven).

I intend to slow cook them tomorrow in barbecue sauce with garlic, honey and Worcestershire sauce. Consequently my wife bought this today.

Add some heat to that, and it's okay. I add powdered cayenne pepper to most store bought BBQ sauces, on the rare occasion that I use BBQ sauce.

CD

I have a shirt made with bamboo. It is very soft, believe it or not. Bamboo grows like weeds. It is a very sustainable resource. I photographed an Aston Martin DB9 Volante with bamboo in place of wood accents inside. It was very good looking.

CD
Oh yes I love bamboo clothing, like you say so soft and it’s fast growing. I wondered about this bit -

“I do actively avoid some such as cheap bamboo (organic or closed system bamboo fibre is fine.)”

You would like Texas BBQ. Traditionally, just smoked, no sauce. Some BBQ pits don't even offer sauce as an option. If you ask for it, they will give you the hairy eyeball.

CD
Yerp. That’s the sort of BBQ I like.

I like dry rubs and thin marinades that are able to penetrate the meat. The gloopy add ons at the end, nope.
Sometimes when feeling lazy I’ll buy ribs or pulled pork that has already been slow cooked but the sauce sachet goes in the bin!

As for animals, I've watched how animals die in the wild on videos. We dispatch them in a far better way than a lion dispatches a zebra. They start eating while the zebra is still alive. Wolves are not "humane" when they shop the sheep farm for some fresh mutton. I'm sure you know what coyotes and hawks do to chickens.
I think we've probably lost Darwin's principle: the survival of the fittest.
Wild animals kill because they need to eat, as you imply. Ever watched African wild dogs hunting? They're absolutely amazing; but extremely scary. They just never give up.
I've even seen my dopey dog attack and kill a possum. He doesn't eat it, but it's in his genes. Try to remove the possum from his jaws and he becomes feral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom