What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to the new, nice Korean market today where they are very helpful and everyone speaks English. I was on the hunt for the thinly sliced sirloin or rib eye used to make bulgogi, though I am using it for other dishes. Bought 2 packages because I am using it for shabu shabu and Mexican fajitzzas. The slices make great Philly steak sammies too.

We also got Napa cabbage, shiitake, straw and beech mushrooms, plus a Korean green hot pepper, and powdered dashi mix.

I didn't take pics because the weather here is really bad. It's cool for here, so much rain some places are flooded and they have booms up along beachfront areas to keep sand and water from businesses located across a double lane road, and wind gusts up to the high 40 MPH range. A lot of cities have cancelled Christmas parades in the last 5 days or so, and as of yesterday they cancelled the Winterfest Boat Parade that runs along the intracoastal, which is a huge deal here, and was supposed to be tonight. It was rainy and windy the whole time we were out, but we made it home about 15 minutes before things took a drastic turn for the worse.

We went to the new, nice Korean market today where they are very helpful and everyone speaks English. I was on the hunt for the thinly sliced sirloin or rib eye used to make bulgogi, though I am using it for other dishes. Bought 2 packages because I am using it for shabu shabu and Mexican fajitzzas. The slices make great Philly steak sammies too.

We also got Napa cabbage, shiitake, straw and beech mushrooms, plus a Korean green hot pepper, and powdered dashi mix.

I didn't take pics because the weather here is really bad. It's cool for here, so much rain some places are flooded and they have booms up along beachfront areas to keep sand and water from businesses located across a double lane road, and wind gusts up to the high 40 MPH range. A lot of cities have cancelled Christmas parades in the last 5 days or so, and as of yesterday they cancelled the Winterfest Boat Parade that runs along the intracoastal, which is a huge deal here, and was supposed to be tonight. It was rainy and windy the whole time we were out, but we made it home about 15 minutes before things took a drastic turn for the worse.

I am able to find thin sliced ribeye at Walmart from time to time, and it is USDA choice. When I do see it, I buy a bunch, vacuum seal it, and freeze it.

CD

I am able to find thin sliced ribeye at Walmart from time to time, and it is USDA choice. When I do see it, I buy a bunch, vacuum seal it, and freeze it.

CD
Not like this. This meat is sliced nearly prosciutto thin. It's basically translucent. I can get 1/8" or so thin sliced steak at any regular grocery here all the time since it's used for palomilla steak, but compared to what we got today that would be considered thick.

I've only seen it come frozen, probably because it has to be partially/mostly frozen to be sliced so thin. It comes shingled like bacon. In fact, I thought that was what it was the first time I saw it.

Last edited:
Not like this. This meat is sliced nearly prosciutto thin. It's basically translucent. I can get 1/8" or so thin sliced steak at any regular grocery here all the time since it's used for palomilla steak, but compared to what we got today that would be considered thick.

All the bulgogi I find at Korean restaurants, and the bulgogi I make at home uses steak cut about 1/8 inch thick. The paper thin steak for bulgogi is new to me. :scratchhead:

CD

All the bulgogi I find at Korean restaurants, and the bulgogi I make at home uses steak cut about 1/8 inch thick. The paper thin steak for bulgogi is new to me. :scratchhead:

CD
This stuff shrinks up and thickens up as it cooks, so it ends up much thicker than when it started after cooking.

That’s one thing I wish I had regular access to…good garlic.
I always buy fresh, even though "peeled" garlic is available in pots, and is not that bad. We get "imported" garlic - big fat cloves,easy to peel, but not outstanding flavour, or Venezuelan garlic. It's a b***ard to peel, because the cloves are much smaller and the skin is tougher. Flavour is about 100 times better.
Or. I suppose, I could use garlic salt, or garlic sauce. Which I don't.

I can't remember the last time I ate this.

It better be good because I paid the equivalent of double the RRP for it!

Rice pudding s.jpg

This stuff. Apparently sunflower seed flour does an excellent job replacing almond flour and I would dearly love my nut allergic son to be able to enjoy a macaroon. If it‘s nuttyness is good enough I might even try out making some marzipan, although I think it won’t be up to that.

IMG_1968.jpeg

So. Much. Stuff.

We are hosting Xmas eve here tomorrow evening. Doors open at 4pm.

The plan is

2 cheese boards
2 jugs of cocktails - sangria & mojito.
Dips & chips
Slow cooker Turkey buffet with rolls & cranberry sauce.

Home made biscuits, fancy chocs, home made rocky road & crack. Look up “chatters crack” if you have been hit by the crack train.

CD

Everywhere in Sydney you can buy that paper thin raw beef and raw pork belly in the frozen section. Even in our big chain supermarkets. Korean food has sky rocketed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom