Which pasta shapes do you use?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:59 AM
Apparently, there are approximately 350 different types of pasta shapes — and they all have names. Different shaped pasta is used to suit different sauces - but do you really think about that? Do you usually buy one particular type or do you use different pasta shapes depending on the dish?

In the UK (and it may be the same elsewhere) penne, linguine and spaghetti seem to be most popular, judging by the supermarket shelves. What shapes of pasta do you use and why?

All kinds. Depends on what's appropriate for the dish. The larger groceries here have a pretty wide selection, plus we have an Italian market fairly close that has pretty much any kind of pasta you could want.

Assuming you mean pasta as the thing originated in Italy and not the noodles on the other side of the globe:

When I make pasta, it's tagliatelle; I have a pasta cutter for that and capellini, but I don't love capellini (it cooks too fast), so it's almost always tagliatelle. Occasionally, I'll make farfalle if I'm feeling motivated. That involves hand-cutting and pinching the dough to form the shape.

I will also use rigatoni and orzo from a box on occasion.

Assuming you mean pasta as the thing originated in Italy and not the noodles on the other side of the globe:

Yes - and I think its absolutely great that you make your own pasta quite often. I can do it and should do it but I'm lazy...
Orichette tonight. It cradles pieces of sausage quite nicely.

That is really quite poetic!

Spaghetti, lasagne and macaroni are widely available here but I tend to use fusilli. Penne and fettuccine can be found in some supermarkets. I remember seeing the bent tubes somewhere, can't remember what it's called.

Spaghetti, lasagne and macaroni are widely available here but I tend to use fusilli. Penne and fettuccine can be found in some supermarkets. I remember seeing the bent tubes somewhere, can't remember what it's called.

Elbows?

Two of my favorite "spaghetti" type noodles are spaghetti ragati and bucatini. We tend to use about 10 different shapes of dried pasta for various dishes.

+1 for "it depends on the dish", but we use several shapes. Cappelini, linguini, fettucini, pappardelle, thin spaghetti, bucatini, penne, rigatoni, ziti, canneloni, farfalle, orrechiete, elbow macaroni, conchiglioni (shells), fusilli, rotelli, tortellini, ravioli, stelline, and orzo are the ones that come to mind of the various dishes we make at home.

Uhmmm difficult :giggle: I use spaghetti (normal or "alla chitarra"), tagliatelle, tagliolini, vermicelli, bucatini, pappardelle, penne, torciglioni, maccheroncini, fusilli, farfalle, orecchiette, strozzapreti, gnocchi, rido and for the stuffed pasta tortellini, cappelletti, ravioli, cappellacci, etc
surely I forgot something.
It depends on the dish but not only for the shape but even if with condiment it takes an egg pasta or not

@buckytom said:
+1 for "it depends on the dish", but we use several shapes. Cappelini, linguini, fettucini, pappardelle, thin spaghetti, bucatini, penne, rigatoni, ziti, canneloni, farfalle, orrechiete, elbow macaroni, conchiglioni (shells), fusilli, rotelli, tortellini, ravioli, stelline, and orzo are the ones that come to mind of the various dishes we make at home.

Uhmmm difficult :giggle: I use spaghetti (normal or "alla chitarra"), tagliatelle, tagliolini, vermicelli, bucatini, pappardelle, penne, torciglioni, maccheroncini, fusilli, farfalle, orecchiette, strozzapreti, gnocchi, rido and for the stuffed pasta tortellini, cappelletti, ravioli, cappellacci, etc
surely I forgot something.
It depends on the dish but not only for the shape but even if with condiment it takes an egg pasta or not

:laugh: Do you both have a special pasta cupboard to keep them all in?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom