Your favourite lettuce or other salad leaves

My favourite large leaf lettuce is Romaine, followed closely by Baby Gem. I usually remove the centre stalks from the outer leaves, but I don't bother so much once you get down to the centre. For small leaves I like lambs lettuce, beetroot leaves, baby spinach, pea shoots and rocket. I don't like or dislike Iceberg, but I find it a bit tasteless really so I tend to avoid it. Its good for texture though and works well when finely shredded.

Every year I try growing lettuce because it'd be so useful to be able to just pop out and pick some for lunch....but it never does very well. I think I'm going to need to try it in a different location.

Every year I try growing lettuce because it'd be so useful to be able to just pop out and pick some for lunch....but it never does very well. I think I'm going to need to try it in a different location.

I recently bought this 'living' lettuce (£1.50) with roots intact from Ocado. I potted it up and its been on the windowsill for a week now, going strong.

https://www.ocado.com/products/living-tenderleaves-red-lettuce-534048011

I've seen "living lettuce" in stores here, and have purchased a few. I don't see them all the time, though. It is hit-or-miss.

CD
I've been able to successfully root lettuce (green leaf, red leaf, romaine) by putting the bottom end in a glass of water in my window. I do that in spring and then transfer to the garden. We usually have several varieties of lettuce growing (from seed) when it is warm.

Romaine and iceberg seem to last the longest in the fridge. I don't use iceberg much, but there are a few recipes that a bed of really crunchy iceberg hits the spot - or atop burgers. However, I maybe buy two heads of that a year.

I usually choose red leaf lettuce - and grow some each year. Boston / butter lettuce is also good. To spice things up, some arugula or Friese lettuce. I will also buy those bags of mixed leaf lettuce.

Just checking terminology - rocket is the British word for arugula?

I harvest my own young dandelion greens from the yard. I can't ever see paying money for the stuff! But it is showing up in supermarkets more and more often these days.

Ahh....that's what we call Lamb's Lettuce.... one of my favourites :happy:

That's right - I mentioned it above.

One of my favourites is frisée which is a type of chicory (endive). Its easily found in France and used to be easily available here back in the 80's. Now its virtually impossible to find here except sometimes in packets of mixed leaves.

That's right - I mentioned it above.

One of my favourites is frisée which is a type of chicory (endive). Its easily found in France and used to be easily available here back in the 80's. Now its virtually impossible to find here except sometimes in packets of mixed leaves.

I don't recall seeing frisée in supermarkets, but I haven't looked for it. I have had it in restaurant salads here.

I like a salad with multiple textures as well as flavors.

CD

I adore salad and eat pretty much all the green leaves I can find - just depends on what I’m eating or what cuisine I’m eating?

I’m confused regarding the flavourless iceberg comments. I use iceberg for burgers, San choy bao & tacos. It’s certainly got a flavour all it’s own. It’s also preferred by our bearded dragon.

Cos/romaine for caesar & a few other salads with Mayo type dressings.

Also we get “baby cos” in packs of 2-3 here more commonly than whole mature cos in the supermarkets. If you want a full head of cos you need a green grocer or farmers market.

We have a baby spinach & rocket blend here which I buy as my son can pick around the rocket. I use it as the base for many salads.

We also use a mesclun or baby salad leaf blend a fair bit.

Red & green oak + butter/bib are commonly sold here with the roots intact as a sort of living lettuce.

Shredded curly kale is often seen here in ready to use salad blends and loads of versions of undressed slaw.

Also we get “baby cos” in packs of 2-3 here more commonly than whole mature cos in the supermarkets. If you want a full head of cos you need a green grocer or farmers market.

We do too and they are often labelled 'Little gem'. Basically its a dwarf variety of Cos or Romaine as I think its called in the US. It keeps incredibly well.

Back
Top Bottom