Your most recent cooking 'failure'

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:21 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
In line with some of the other threads about your most recent, your latest, the meal you cooked last... etc, I though I would start a your most recent thread for cooking failures or complete disasters depending on how bad it actually was.

It is meant to be light-hearted and where possible for someone to help, if they know what went wrong.

So I will start. I recently followed a recipe for a Spelt bread made with orange juice which called for 150ml olive oil to be added to 400g of spelt flour. When I make a recipe first time around I make it as per the recipe, I don't adapt until it is cooked and I have tasted it. In the case of baking, this means next time around. In the case of cooking, it often means adding more spices/herbs before serving. Sometimes it may mean adding much more to it than that.

So this time around, and watching my diet, I decided to omit the oil completely. I had stated when I wrote the recipe up that next time around I would halve the quantity.... I really should have stook stayed with that.

So this time around I amended too much. I didn't have enough spelt flour and there was a corn ingredient challenge on, so I switched out half of the spelt for (yellow) corn flour or maize flour depending on how you know it. I also omitted all of the oil and used water instead. It looked for all intents and purposed to be absolutely fine, but it wasn't. It was hard and brittle and well it tasted OK, but it wasn't the same and only the chooks really enjoyed it. They cleared all of it in a couple of sittings between the 6 of them... :whistling:

IMG_6010.JPG
Before cooking

IMG_6011.JPG
The underside

IMG_6012.JPG
The topside still looks anaemic to me! But inside was brittle and not photographed. My next attempt will be back to the suggested round 2... with 50/50 oil/water and probably 50/50 spelt/wholemeal flour... I need more dried thyme before I continue and if anyone has 4 spare ribs going free please :whistling:

Work in progress

Yorkshire chicken pie:

Effectively it should be a chicken pie but the "crust" is a Yorkshire pudding. Not a complete and utter disaster but I shall not be bothering again.

yorkshirechickenpie.jpg

Some time ago I attempted to make a quesadilla with my home made salsa. I put the bottom "flour tortilla" in the pan and then spread the salsa. After putting the second "tortilla" on the top everything looked the part until a few minutes later I tried to turn it over. What a mess.

I've learnt since then.

Some time ago I attempted to make a quesadilla with my home made salsa. I put the bottom "flour tortilla" in the pan and then spread the salsa. After putting the second "tortilla" on the top everything looked the part until a few minutes later I tried to turn it over. What a mess.

I've learnt since then.
What Did you learn? Just curious please...

I've learnt since then.
Did you use uncooked tortillas? Quesadillas here are made with cooked tortillas. So yes, cook the tortillas first.

Now as per my most recent fail, I will have to think on that one.

Yes, I did!

[Forgive him for he knows not what he's doing]
No worries. Last time I looked at any recipe using flour tortillas, they all just say flour tortillas. They do not specify.
Little secret, flour tortillas that are sold in the US are already cooked.
There might be one company that sells uncooked flour tortillas. Corn tortillas are also sold cooked.
Cook 30 seconds each side then do your Quesadillas.

Latest failure.
I made pinto beans. I had some leftover glazed ham. I put it in the beans while they were cooking. Honey and cloves do not go well in beans. (Honey and cloves were two ingredients in the glaze.)
It was almost inedible.

These are the only ones available here in Nakhorn Nowhere (AFAIK). I don't know the significance of "home made".

flour tortillas.jpg

I'm pleased that you refer to them as flour tortillas as tortillas to me are Spanish omelettes.

I live in a region that is 45% Mexican. So yes I try to be specific.

Though now I am off to Google Spanish omelettes.
It is very confusing! The word 'tortilla' has two meanings in culinary terms. The Oxford English Dictionary says:

NOUN

1. (in Mexican cooking) a thin, flat pancake made from maize flour, eaten hot or cold, typically with a savoury filling.

2. (in Spanish cooking) an omelette.

So you are both right! :D

It is very confusing! The word 'tortilla' has two meanings in culinary terms. The Oxford English Dictionary says:

NOUN

1. (in Mexican cooking) a thin, flat pancake made from maize flour, eaten hot or cold, typically with a savoury filling.

2. (in Spanish cooking) an omelette.

So you are both right! :D
Looks like 2 different countries too.

Back
Top Bottom