Your most recent cooking 'failure'

Some time ago I attempted to make a quesadilla with my home made salsa. I put the bottom "flour tortilla" in the pan and then spread the salsa. After putting the second "tortilla" on the top everything looked the part until a few minutes later I tried to turn it over. What a mess.

I've learnt since then.

@Cinisajoy

OK, I've tried again. Smeared a little olive oil in a non stick frying pan. Lightly cooked one flour tortilla. Kept aside and put the second tortilla in the pan, coated with salsa (sieved because I prefer my dipping salsa with more liquid) and grated cheddar cheese. Pop the cooked tortilla on top and cook until the cheese has melted. The final product looked a bit amateur but tasted good.

@Cinisajoy

OK, I've tried again. Smeared a little olive oil in a non stick frying pan. Lightly cooked one flour tortilla. Kept aside and put the second tortilla in the pan, coated with salsa (sieved because I prefer my dipping salsa with more liquid) and grated cheddar cheese. Pop the cooked tortilla on top and cook until the cheese has melted. The final product looked a bit amateur but tasted good.

That is actually very close to what a restaurant quesadilla looks like. The only difference is you put in way more than they would. Glad it worked.

I've never had salsa inside a quesadilla, only as an accompaniment. I like lots of salsa, so I think I'll have to try that. I have a good recipe for mango and radish salsa I've been meaning to make, and radish season will shortly be upon us. I'll post the recipe as well.

My most recent cooking failure was a few months ago. Shortly after my father passed last October, everyone in my family made things for my mother to eat, and keep as freezer meals for the future.

I tried making my usual Sunday gravy (meatballs, sweet Italian sausage, and pork rib ends slow cooked in a tomato sauce with veggies) for her, but knowing how much she likes bell peppers, I added all sorts of colours of them.
I unfortunately put in way too many bell peppers to the point where the entire thing tasted weird. It might have been OK if I had roasted them first, but it just tasted strangely of raw peppers.

I think my sister eventually took out the meats, rinsed them off as best as possible, then made a new tomato sauce. I hope it wasn't just summarily tossed out.

My most recent cooking failure was a few months ago. Shortly after my father passed last October, everyone in my family made things for my mother to eat, and keep as freezer meals for the future.

I tried making my usual Sunday gravy (meatballs, sweet Italian sausage, and pork rib ends slow cooked in a tomato sauce with veggies) for her, but knowing how much she likes bell peppers, I added all sorts of colours of them.
I unfortunately put in way too many bell peppers to the point where the entire thing tasted weird. It might have been OK if I had roasted them first, but it just tasted strangely of raw peppers.

I think my sister eventually took out the meats, rinsed them off as best as possible, then made a new tomato sauce. I hope it wasn't just summarily tossed out.

Oh dear! I think bell peppers are a very difficult ingredient. I see so many recipes where they are put into a stew raw and then cooked for only 15 minutes or so. In a stir-fry they are fine served crispy. But not elsewhere IMHO. If I use peppers I almost always char-grill them first, partially peeling off the skin but leaving a few charred bits - so they are soft and tasty before I add them.

Oh dear! I think bell peppers are a very difficult ingredient. I see so many recipes where they are put into a stew raw and then cooked for only 15 minutes or so. In a stir-fry they are fine served crispy. But not elsewhere IMHO. If I use peppers I almost always char-grill them first, partially peeling off the skin but leaving a few charred bits - so they are soft and tasty before I add them.
I never quick cook bell peppers unless I want that flavor as in my Spanish rice. Otherwise, they are long cooked. Stuffed peppers baked for at least an hour. Jambalaya, the peppers are in there several hours.

We use bell peppers as part of kebabs. They are cooked (grilled) for as long as it takes to cook the meat (about 10 minutes I guess).

kebabsjacket-2 s.jpg

Last edited:
Today.... That was my most recent cooking failure.

I got everything out to are Indian potato pie. But my head was so far out of it today that I could barely function passed washing the potatoes (home-grown so soily)... Everything was still out when my oh got home this evening. Meal unprepared and uncooked.
I had managed to peel all the ginger and purée it in the spice grinder. It then gets frozen in teaspoon sized heaps for preservation but that was as far as life took me today. That and juicing a lemon..,

Back
Top Bottom