Your most recent cooking 'failure'

I learnt the Spanish one years before I'd heard of the Mexican flour tortilla. In the early 70's I virtually lived on these in Spain (and tapas).

bocadillo-tortilla-tomate-11.jpg

Last week I wasn't feeling very well so I just wanted to make a simple stew...but I've asked my husband to help me. And right there I made my biggest mistake. He was cutting the vegetables, I was putting them in the pan and seasoning them. After 10 minutes, we were almost done, just the final touches and it was ready. But I went to bed and let him finish. Looked amazing, smelled amazing but the taste....jesus...too much salt, too much pepper. Just uneatable.

I love making cookies. big sweet chewy ones. but I'm not very good at it. I forgot to set the timer. well I did set the time on the timer but then I forgot to set the time running.... the last ones where not chewy or sweet. more like charcoal biscuits only the dog would not eat them!

Tonight, a recipe called
Portuguese hake baked in mayonnaise.

Stupidly fell foul of a recipe published by a national newspaper. In retrospect, the journalist was taking a shortcut and obviously hadn't tried it in person. Diana Henry of the Daily Telegraph hang your head in shame. This dish is best avoided at all costs

Tonight, a recipe called
Portuguese hake baked in mayonnaise.

Stupidly fell foul of a recipe published by a national newspaper. In retrospect, the journalist was taking a shortcut and obviously hadn't tried it in person. Diana Henry of the Daily Telegraph hang your head in shame. This dish is best avoided at all costs
I've never been that keen on Diana Henry. I have one book by her - GastroPubs, which is OK. But they aren't her recipes.
Personally, I wouldn't bake anything in mayonnaise.

I forgot to grease the baking sheet very well for some cookies I made and they stayed very well attached to the test. the result was more a cookie crumble than a biscuit. :cry:

I forgot to grease the baking sheet very well for some cookies I made and they stayed very well attached to the test. the result was more a cookie crumble than a biscuit. :cry:
I always use non-stick baking paper. No need to grease then...

I always use non-stick baking paper. No need to grease then...
They didn't stick to the other tray though. I think it had more to do with the heat, the tray type (single thickness and very cheap and cheerful) and the shelf height. plus I'm still learning this oven. it's new to me and had some quirks!

They didn't stick to the other tray though. I think it had more to do with the heat, the tray type (single thickness and very cheap and cheerful) and the shelf height. plus I'm still learning this oven. it's new to me and had some quirks!
You're not the only one here who is having 'new oven' problems. @SatNavSaysStraightOn also has a new problematic oven. Perhaps you should compare notes!

Hi Cookie

I'm on LPG or propane gas, not mains. I'm currently living rurally in Australia so gas is bottled. we had a new cooker last week. for me it's a case of getting used to the new one which is also hotter at the back for some reason despite the ventilation at the bottom being the same across the bottom. I guess I just need to turn things around half way through cooking if it does ruin it by opening the oven door!

I see that you are new here, where are you from and have you introduced yourself over in the welcome area? it's always good to say hello.

Is your new oven gas as well?

SNSSO

Back
Top Bottom