Your Photos

Let's start today :(... it's a pity because we had to be here more. It was a wonderful trip, lovely and kind people and wonderful city. We want to get back as soon as possible and see the rest of Scotland as well.

Last edited:
To maintain a Scottish theme, a few pictures from yesterday's little jaunt to Pitlochry. Pitlochry is about 30 miles north of Perth, on the south-western edge of the Cairngorm National Park.

A couple of views from the dam:

Picture 004.jpg
Picture 009.jpg

Lots of birds around, including hundreds of swallows (plenty of insects over the water). Swallows don't tend to stay in one place very long, so I was quite pleased with this shot.

Picture 011.jpg

Last edited:
@Ken Natton It's very braw day today! (is braw a scottish idiom, isn't it?) And I can say with no doubt that Edinburgh people are very pleasant and couthie :)

Hmmm, when an Englishman thinks he has a talent for impersonating a Scottish accent he might say “It’s a braw brech moonlech nech the nech”, meaning ‘It is a broad bright moonlit night tonight’. The only problem is, it is fairly certain that no Scottish person has ever said that. Except perhaps to highlight the foolishness of Englishmen.

Hmmm, when an Englishman thinks he has a talent for impersonating a Scottish accent he might say “It’s a braw brech moonlech nech the nech”, meaning ‘It is a broad bright moonlit night tonight’. The only problem is, it is fairly certain that no Scottish person has ever said that. Except perhaps to highlight the foolishness of Englishmen.

Not even Stanley Baxter (one of my favourite Scottish comedians)? He turned 91 years old last month.

Not even Stanley Baxter (one of my favourite Scottish comedians)? He turned 91 years old last month.

Stanley Baxter was at his height when I was a childhood visitor to Edinburgh. Kind of a Scottish Dick Emery.

I had seen this written on a Scottish language book, so I thought I had written a good thing. Well, I'm justified because I am neither English or Scottish :rolleyes:

I had seen this written on a Scottish language book, so I thought I had written a good thing. Well, I'm justified because I am neither English or Scottish :rolleyes:

I suppose that 'braw' is just a diminutive of 'broad'. But yes, you will be fine. Have you found any more good restaurants? My memory from my last time there is that there are some good ones on the Royal Mile at the lower end, nearer to Holyrood Palace.

I suppose that 'braw' is just a diminutive of 'broad'. But yes, you will be fine. Have you found any more good restaurants? My memory from my last time there is that there are some good ones on the Royal Mile at the lower end, nearer to Holyrood Palace.

Braw: fine, pleasant. Example for the weather "It's a braw day".
Oh yes a lot of pubs and restaurants and we have eaten at The Cellar Door restaurant (I liked the name: la porta della cantina in Italian), near Greyfriars Cemetery, George IV Bridge...an elegant and modern restaurant and an interesting menu! I had bread e olive oil butter as starter and chicken and leek stovies with scottish oat cakes as main. And yesterday we went to Cannonmills area/Inverleath to visit the Botanic garden center and we had dinner in a cute restaurant called the Orchards: smoked salmon, dill cream cheese e baby leaf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom