Your Top List of Fave Dishes & Desserts!

black forest cake, it's a German cake...

Firstly, Black Forest Gateaux, why didn't I think of that? That dark chocolate / kirsch combination is the closest I ever come to nirvana.

Secondly, that's a good point. Why is it Black Forest Gateaux? Gateaux is French. It should be Black Forest Kuchen, or even Schwarz Walden Kuchen, which I suppose is what it is in Germany (Schwartzwalder Kirschtorte apparently), or Black Forest Cake, or maybe even Foret Noir Gateaux, but definitely not Black Forest Gateaux. See that's the trouble with the Germans. They have no word for Schadenfreude.

What are you chopping up?

Onions, garlic, large chilies and small chilies. Sometimes tomatoes but I usually used tinned whole tomatoes blended these days. I also now use bought minced beef rather than mincing it myself. And for chicken curry, I "chop" the chicken into bite sized pieces.

I'm going to be making a lot of posts on this one, but the first thing that pops into my head would be what I've been craving lately: surf and turf.

A nice, medium rare hunk of filet mignon next to a butter basted, steamed lobster tail. Sides of herb roasted potatoes and garlic sauteed broccoli.

For dessert, a crispy/creamy creme brulee. And to cap off the night, a Cuban cigar and a snifter of Gran Marnier Quintessence.

I'm going to be making a lot of posts on this one, but the first thing that pops into my head would be what I've been craving lately: surf and turf.

A nice, medium rare hunk of filet mignon next to a butter basted, steamed lobster tail. Sides of herb roasted potatoes and garlic sauteed broccoli.

For dessert, a crispy/creamy creme brulee. And to cap off the night, a Cuban cigar and a snifter of Gran Marnier Quintessence.
"cap off the night!?" Since this thread depicts the ideal/fantasy, my selection would be at midday at some gorgeous, picturesque destination by the sea!

Well if you are having a brandy then I shall have: (a)
- A pina colada with the deluxe fruit trifle
- A calypso coffee (with Tia Maria) to go with the tiramisu
- and a brandy alexander cocktail for the chocolate cake
558648.gif
color.gif

(I see it now...where will it end? Not only choosing what you wear, but who you will be with - alive or dead but er...somewhat revived!) I did have a thread (on another forum) on the top 3 famous people (alive or dead) that you would most like to invite to dinner....perhaps not all at the same time though!

Last edited:
Onions, garlic, large chilies and small chilies. Sometimes tomatoes but I usually used tinned whole tomatoes blended these days. I also now use bought minced beef rather than mincing it myself. And for chicken curry, I "chop" the chicken into bite sized pieces.
OK. Perhaps it was a silly question - I keep chopping to a minimum: mandolin slices the onions, garlic is grated on microplane as is ginger. Chillies go in whole generally but obviously I chop them sometimes - that is for curry sauces. For chilli I do chop the onions but grate the garlic.

OK. Perhaps it was a silly question - I keep chopping to a minimum: mandolin slices the onions, garlic is grated on microplane as is ginger. Chillies go in whole generally but obviously I chop them sometimes - that is for curry sauces. For chilli I do chop the onions but grate the garlic.

I used to play the guitar - but not very well.

The top 3 famous people (alive or dead) that you would most like to invite to dinner..

I've attended a number of dinner parties which were somewhat boring but all of the guests (I think) were still alive.
Well that's when it pays to be proactive! I would turn that situation around. Everyone usually has a fun side...just a question of finding it!

Fave #2, another craving: a Portugese/Spanish meal.

Start with an appy of gambas a ajillo (garlic shrimp), then a nice, chilled gazpacho.

For the entree, either mariscada or paella, side of papas fritas.

Red sangria to wash it down.

For dessert, either rice pudding or malassada.

Fave #2, another craving: a Portugese/Spanish meal.

Start with an appy of gambas a ajillo (garlic shrimp), then a nice, chilled gazpacho.

For the entree, either mariscada or paella, side of papas fritas.

Red sangria to wash it down.

For dessert, either rice pudding or malassada.
I have never heard of mariscada before....looked it up - sounds lovely and similar to bouillabase (but with coconut milk and less tomato) maybe lighter? We tend not to get the little neck clams here in UK but the larger variety.

Hmm, I've never had that version, with coconut milk. There is a mariscada "verde"; maybe that has the coconut milk in it.

But yes, it is much like a bouillabase. Yummmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom