2023 New Year's Eve and New Year's Day Menu

We also had NYE fondue (@TastyReuben’s recipe too):
IMG_3761.jpeg

I love that fondue set. I wish I could start a collection.
My parents received it as a wedding gift in 1981. They used it exactly never, and gave it to me over 30 years later when I asked for a fondue set for my birthday.

I can’t believe they held on to it for so long, especially since they never used it!

Last edited:
The obligatory photos got taken, most of which were blurred. (I wonder why...) We scoffed loads of cheese and tapenade and then, when the (a) lentil soup (b) tortellini (c) spaghetti were served, no-one was hungry. My stomach tends to switch off after a certain hour. Anyhow, cheers from me, the wife and Ian:
Happy New Year 2024.jpg

Pork and kraut in the oven. This is a totally bunged together dish, because I didn’t see any ribs that I liked.

I didn’t have any regular (streaky) bacon thawed, so I used Irish bacon, and I’ve got four medium-thick bone-in chops and a thin boneless loin chop buried under some under some onions, but sitting on top of the kraut, which is flavored with dry mustard, caraway, juniper berries, apples, and white wine.
IMG_7219.jpeg

We’ll see how it goes. Starting on the glazed carrots.

Well, oh well…it was a rousing success:
IMG_7220.jpeg

I told MrsT that the pork wouldn’t be shredded like I normally do, so she could have it as a whole chop or I could slice it up.

She was horrified and said, “Just do whatever. It doesn’t really matter either way.”

So I pleased myself and took all the chops off the bones and sliced it somewhat thickly.

It was brilliant. Very juicy, very tender, and full of all that kraut flavor. It’s one of the best P&S dishes I’ve ever made (and I’ve made a lot).

Happily, MrsT flipped for it, too.

The potatoes…I stirred in about 2 tablespoons of some leftover fondue cheese, and that was a stroke of genius, if I do say so.

Last, the carrots…basic glazed carrots, with OJ, zest, and honey, and then chopped sweet pickles stirred in just before serving.

Sounds like sweet on sugar on sweet, but it was…just wow! MrsT said it’s the best carrot dish she’s ever had. She’s so-so about carrots, but she’s over there sopping the sugar juice up with her bread right now.

For a meal I just threw together (except for the carrots, I did follow a recipe for that), it turned out to be one of the best NYD meals we’ve ever had.

New Year’s Day dinner here will be beef barbacoa burrito bowls. This is one of my husband’s absolute favourite meals.

Cilantro-lime rice, topped with spicy barbacoa beef (I do it in the pressure cooker), cheddar cheese, homemade corn salsa, and homemade guacamole. Delicious but a lot of work to put together!

For a meal I just threw together (except for the carrots, I did follow a recipe for that), it turned out to be one of the best NYD meals we’ve ever had.

So glad to hear that! Using recipes is fine, but when you get to the skill level you have, you can wing it and make great food. :okay:

CD

New Year’s Day dinner here will be beef barbacoa burrito bowls. This is one of my husband’s absolute favourite meals.

Cilantro-lime rice, topped with spicy barbacoa beef (I do it in the pressure cooker), cheddar cheese, homemade corn salsa, and homemade guacamole. Delicious but a lot of work to put together!

Sounds good. What cut of beef did you use? Beef cheek would be pretty traditional for barbacoa, but I've never tried it.

CD

My pork butt is still on the smoker. It is taking longer than I estimated. It is the first time using this smoker for me, and it is 42F/6C outside, so I'm not surprised that it is taking longer.

CD

Sounds good. What cut of beef did you use? Beef cheek would be pretty traditional for barbacoa, but I've never tried it.

CD
I used round roast this time. To be honest, I make it with whatever cut I happen to have on hand in the freezer - I’ve used round, eye of round, chuck, cross rib - just about everything except prime rib. It always comes out tender. Today it was falling apart when I was taking it out of the pressure cooker.

Here’s the finished product:
IMG_8664.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom