2023 New Year's Eve and New Year's Day Menu

My pork butt is still on the smoker. It is taking longer than I estimated. It is the first time using this smoker for me, and it is 42F/6C outside, so I'm not surprised that it is taking longer.

CD

Here is a picture from about an hour ago. It is about ready to wrap and foil to finish cooking. I'll be having a late supper. :laugh:

1704160781941.jpeg

CD

Well, oh well…it was a rousing success:
View attachment 108744

I told MrsT that the pork wouldn’t be shredded like I normally do, so she could have it as a whole chop or I could slice it up.

She was horrified and said, “Just do whatever. It doesn’t really matter either way.”

So I pleased myself and took all the chops off the bones and sliced it somewhat thickly.

It was brilliant. Very juicy, very tender, and full of all that kraut flavor. It’s one of the best P&S dishes I’ve ever made (and I’ve made a lot).

Happily, MrsT flipped for it, too.

The potatoes…I stirred in about 2 tablespoons of some leftover fondue cheese, and that was a stroke of genius, if I do say so.

Last, the carrots…basic glazed carrots, with OJ, zest, and honey, and then chopped sweet pickles stirred in just before serving.

Sounds like sweet on sugar on sweet, but it was…just wow! MrsT said it’s the best carrot dish she’s ever had. She’s so-so about carrots, but she’s over there sopping the sugar juice up with her bread right now.

For a meal I just threw together (except for the carrots, I did follow a recipe for that), it turned out to be one of the best NYD meals we’ve ever had.

I know what you mean about the carrots. I do similar but with organic carrots. Try it some time its next level.

Russ

I know what you mean about the carrots. I do similar but with organic carrots. Try it some time its next level.

Russ
These were half and half; I usually buy organic carrots, but they looked awful a couple of weeks ago, so I just bought the bagged ones, then last week, the organic ones looked good again, so I got those.

Update: I pulled the pork butt, wrapped it in foil, and moved it inside to the oven to finish. It is 36F/2C outside. The smoker was having to fight the cold. After a few hours, meat has taken in all the smoke it can, so now it is just about the heat.

A bone-in pork butt has a built-in doneness indicator. When the blade bone pulls out with almost zero effort, the meat is done. It's getting close.

CD

Back
Top Bottom