9,000 chocolate bars a year

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:35 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Yep... one woman has broken her addiction to chocolate and given up 9,000 'big bars' of chocolate bars a year to lose 15 stone (210lbs) in weight for the sake of being around for her sick child.

She needed an extended tummy tuck afterwards along with arm flaps removing etc, but is now a healthy 13 stone and a size 12.

Question for you. From the statement below, do you think some of this was down to bad parenting? Not teaching proper control or nutrition? Not teaching her as a child that chocolate was not the right choice? Or is there more to it than that. She acknowledges there was a lot of stress in her life after her son was born, but not everyone with similar stresses puts on so much weight living in similar circumstances.

‘As a kid, my family would sit down with a big block together and divvy it out while watching the TV.
‘It was always my go-to when I was happy, sad or even bored,’ she said.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/10/24/a-wom...ars-a-year-has-finally-given-them-up-6211191/

I don't think we can know from this report what caused her to eat so much. When I'm stressed the last thing I think about is food! So I don't really understand the concept of comfort food. Comfort food is something I might eat if I feel good rather than bad.

There are many reasons for eating disorders and upbringing is only a part of the story. But there is no doubt that obesity is becoming more common here in the UK and in the US. Is obesity such a problem in Australia and New Zealand, I wonder?

yep it is. it was one of the first things we noticed.

There are national adverts (I was going to start a new thread on them if I could find them online) that are pretty hard hitting about eating sugar and drinking it and what it does to the body. Words like toxic fat, cancer, type 2 diabetes etc all come up... its, err interesting.

More to it.
Macks had a very good policy when it came to eating sweets in their factories. You could eat as much as you wanted on two provisos:
You didn't slow production up/down.
You never took them off the factory floor, to eat later.

Break either and you were in trouble. Seldom lasted doing this for more than a month, before stopping.

Will answer when I have more time.
Glad she is not eating so much chocolate.
As to the other part, longer answer later.

How would free access to over 2lb of sweets a day, as a kid, bother you?

I'd access to this every day, and like the system in place at the factories at the time, you soon got over that initial rush to eat as many as possible. Even taking them to school, where there were a few wary takers(can't work out why) it never took such a hold.

Ok longer answer. It sounds like she just liked chocolate. As to the parenting question, did her parents know she was eating that much chocolate? Did she actually eat that much chocolate as a kid? Or did it start out innocent enough with 1 chocolate a day and steadily increased to 25 a day?

That is roughly 25 big bars of chocolate a day. Quick search gives me a price of $45 for 24. This is the 60g bars. That is $16,425 a year.

Just glad she got over her chocolate addiction.

Ok longer answer. It sounds like she just liked chocolate. As to the parenting question, did her parents know she was eating that much chocolate? Did she actually eat that much chocolate as a kid? Or did it start out innocent enough with 1 chocolate a day and steadily increased to 25 a day?
She lost a lot of weight previously due to a gastric band but then piled it on again when her son was diagnosed with a serious condition.
‘As a kid, my family would sit down with a big block together and divvy it out while watching the TV. ‘It was always my go-to when I was happy, sad or even bored,’ she said.

The thing I can't understand is how she can fit into size 12 if she is 13 stone! Is the New Zealand size twelve different? I'm tall and I'm not anywhere near 13 stone but I can't fit size 12. More like 14/16. If I was 13 stone it would be 18 at least. Is she six foot six or something!

US sizes are different so maybe New Zealand are too? Off to check..

New Zealand same as UK, In US a UK12 is a 10. So @Cinisajoy, if you were 13 stone, could you fit a US size 10?
Quick answer, No.
I am a little over 10 stones and I wear a size 12. I am also 5' 8 or 1.6 meters tall. Someone shorter would wear a larger size. Someone taller would wear a smaller size but they would be underweight.

The thing I can't understand is how she can fit into size 12 if she is 13 stone
I'm 5'6". I weigh 10 stone. I fit a size 12 top (baggy) and size 8 trousers (also baggy).
At my least weight - 8 stone 6lb (54kg) I was a size 6 top and a size 2 jeans. I had problems finding clothes to wear and needed to shop in teenage girls shops to find jeans to fit.
When I was 11 1/2 stone it was a size 10 waist and size 14-16 top. I felt fat but looked fine apparently.

I aim for 9 stone 7lb (60kg) at that I am a UK size 6 waist and UK size 10 top. Apparently that makes me look thin but not skinny.
It is simply bone density and bone size. I know I have a good bone density and wide bones. I don't carry much muscle because of a medical condition that prevents me from gaining muscle. I know my bone density is high from bone scan results. It is above average (except for one femur that is).

!'m 5'8' and when I weigh 10 stone (has been known but not recently) I can get into size 12 jeans at a pinch. Top is still size 14/16. but I'm size 38 bust. My waist is always large but that may be to do with 4 babies.

If your bone density is high, would that mean you would weigh more for your height yet could appear slimmer than others who have low bone density?

Still don't see how 13 stone gets into a 12, whatever her bone density!

That is roughly 25 big bars of chocolate a day. Quick search gives me a price of $45 for 24. This is the 60g bars. That is $16,425 a year.

Just glad she got over her chocolate addiction.
Used to eat 9 mars(62.5g) an hour at one time, working outside. Them I'd not consider large bars any way.

Back
Top Bottom