Retro Recipe A beef stroganoff experiment.

Frizz1974

Veteran
Local time
3:41 AM
My daughter, who likes the flavour of mushrooms but not the texture asked me to make beef stroganoff.

2 onions - very finely diced
2 cloves garlic - crushed
12 button mushrooms - finely chopped (as for duxelles)
3 big flat mushrooms - sliced thickly
600gm diced stewing beef
2 tbls plain flour
Salt & pepper
1 cup beef stock
1 cup red wine
500ml cream
200ml sour cream
1/2 cup milk & 1 tbls corn flour or arrowroot etc to make a slurry
2 tbls butter
2 tbls neutral oil
Handful of chopped parsley

Season the flour with salt & pepper then toss beef in it
Heat the oil in a flame proof casserole dish or pot and brown beef really well in batches, remove to a plate.
Add the onions to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring until well cooked and lightly golden.
Add the red wine, cook for a minute or two then add the beef stock and the diced beef with any juices.
Set this over low heat to simmer for 45 minutes
Get a frying pan hot then add in the mushroom slices, after a minute add in the finely chopped mushrooms & garlic along with the butter and toss well for a few minutes. Season with salt & pepper. When done, add to the pot with the beef mixture and stir well, adding in the cream.
Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes to reduce cream.
Check the beef is tender then add sour cream, stir then thicken with the slurry if needed, or using only as much as you need.
Finish with parsley.

F4028715-5D4A-4AD5-86BD-7DD5BA135E56.jpeg

We ate this with pasta that was tossed with butter & parsley and a side of steamed vegetables.
It's a complete departure to the way I would usually make stroganoff but I was working with what I had as far as beef goes and trying to make it user friendly for the teens. They loved it, I just made sure that Mat & I were plated all the fat slices of field mushroom. Yum.

Last edited:
That looks wonderful! How had she even heard of Beef Stroganoff? Its definitely retro.

Her grandparents were eating beef stroganoff from a flavour sachet over white rice sans mushrooms when we were there recently. I have probably made it before when she was little. She used to love mushrooms when she was a preschooler. During this cook I had to send a text to my childhood besty, she's a chef and taught me the recipe she learned in college back in the 90's. "I'm bastardising your stroganoff recipe, what are you doing?"

You can always use mushroom powder to add flavor. Just grind dried porcinis in a spice grinder.

I have a bag of dried mushrooms here that include porcini also a jar of slippery jacks & pine saffrons I dried after a bumper harvest last year.

There's lots of different kinds of mushrooms, and they are not all prepared with the same texture. Sliced, marinated, and grilled King Oyster mushrooms come to mind, as well as grilled giant Portabellas stuffed with Caprese salad, or baked Criminis stuffed with dressed lump crabmeat.

Anywho, I love a good stroganoff, and that looks delicious.

I do something similar but a bit simpler
Some differences, when making cream/sour cream based strogie
I use white wine; if tomato sauce based i use a hearty red.
I also cook fresh mushrooms and onions in the wine...it noticably
infuses the flavor into them.
I also, when more pressed to get it onto the table, will often skip
the cream, and after reducing to tender and thick, just turn heat
low then add in the sourcream to desired consistency.
Most else is pretty much similar method.
Yours is pretty rich looking, indicating a good blending of components. :)

B5AF096C-E410-4A6D-BA67-63B37A8412EF.jpeg

Saffron pine mushrooms

7E066A27-F5E2-4025-A79F-CBCA93A01D27.jpeg

Slippery Jacks

These are European varieties that came over with baby pines that were planted into massive forests all over the eastern side of Australia and flourish at higher elevations.

We had a great mushroom season last year. This year has been very dry.

The saffron’s dry really well. You can do it in a hot garage apparently but I have a dehydrator.

View attachment 15618
Saffron pine mushrooms

View attachment 15617

Slippery Jacks

These are European varieties that came over with baby pines that were planted into massive forests all over the eastern side of Australia and flourish at higher elevations.

We had a great mushroom season last year. This year has been very dry.

The saffron’s dry really well. You can do it in a hot garage apparently but I have a dehydrator.

They are gorgeous!

I do make a chicken & white wine version that’s basically a riff on stroganoff that I use as a pasta sauce.

Funny you mention that--chicken stroganof, or chicken with wine, is basically
a staple around here. I actually prefer it to beef strogie; using dark meat
chicken its tastier, takes less time to cook and absobs the flavors
better. And once you get the wine mix reduced down and the chicken uber
tender, you can stop there or add a variety of different things to change
the dish completely. But if I serve it over pasta I still call it stroganof. :)

Back
Top Bottom