A picky eater challenge

2. I don’t drink anything while I’m eating, only before and after.
I have to keep water to hand all the time because I can't always swallow properly if something is too dry. It's one reason we eat a lot of soups, casseroles or wet dishes. Its easier for me to swallow. I can't for the life of me eat dry biscuits or dry toast or take tablets without fluid.

I couldn't imagine not having wine with my dinner when I'm doing a pairing. For this meal, I'm bringing along a Barbera d'Alba.

Wine I drink with the meal. Beer, I do not. Before and after, yes.

But not hers. Bell pepper adjacent. My cooking partner (who will NOT be there!) suggested maiitake mushrooms, partially cooked first with a bit of red pepper and salt before using for topping. Seems like a decent idea, maybe with a bit of pimenton.

I was also going to suggest mushrooms in place of pepperoni.

Presumably a vegetarian safe one?

www.barnivore.com
I'm a vegetarian, not vegan. The wines I drink which are fined (and many are not fined) mostly use either egg white or calcium carbonate from sea shells, both of which are in my comfort zone.

Interestingly, some vegans will not drink biodynamic wines.

I've just looked up on Google the definition of "biodynamic wines" and I'm non the wiser.

I don't believe that my beer is "biodynamic" but I have no way of telling.

I've just looked up on Google the definition of "biodynamic wines" and I'm non the wiser.
Me neither, and I honestly don`t believe I´m going to sod around the supermarket wringing my hands looking for something aerodynamic biodynamic, at double the price, when I can find something perfectly drinkable for half the price!

The OMWC I might think twice about the Red Pepper Flakes in the Mushrooms. If your lady friend doesn't care for "Indian Spices" and "anything with hot peppers", I'd be willing the wager that would be a hard no, but ask her, along with the Olives, I love sliced Black Olives on my Pizza, but I'm an omnivore.

Edit - oh and I totally misunderstood as Morning Glory mentioned that you wish to whip up a Vegetarian meal.

I'm a vegetarian, not vegan. The wines I drink which are fined (and many are not fined) mostly use either egg white or calcium carbonate from sea shells, both of which are in my comfort zone.

I'm aware you are vegetarian. I was too from the age of 11 until my dairy allergy developed. Barnivore covers vegetarian as well.

A lot of wine is fined in fish swim bladders or ininglass meaning it doesn't meet vegetarian definitions (similarly white sugar being cleaned with animal bone char and some chocolates or sweets being covered in shellac (a resin secreted from insects)). Other animal-based fining agents in alcohol include Gelatin (Beef and/or Pork).

Last edited:
I’m somewhat like that. The two my wife makes fun of are:

1. I generally eat all of one thing on my plate before moving onto the next thing (all my broccoli, then all my baked potato, then all my steak, for example).
2. I don’t drink anything while I’m eating, only before and after.
My DH does this, and almost ever meal I ask him, "why are you not eating xyz on your plate, don't you like it?" His reply is the same every time, "I eat one thing at a time" ... he has major OCD... we joke between us that he has OCPD, not sure why, just for fun... I usually don't mind his quirks, that's him.

My DH does this, and almost ever meal I ask him, "why are you not eating xyz on your plate, don't you like it?" His reply is the same every time, "I eat one thing at a time" ... he has major OCD... we joke between us that he has OCPD, not sure why, just for fun... I usually don't mind his quirks, that's him.

My mom is just the opposite. She goes around the plate eating one bite of each thing at a time. If she runs out of one item with several bites of everything else left, she will get more of that one item, if she can. Everything has to be even. :laugh:

As for me, I like putting together the "perfect bite." If I have chicken fried steak, I get a piece of the steak, some mashed potatoes, and a piece of fried okra on my fork. Then I dip it in white gravy and have "the perfect bite." :dance:

CD

My mom is just the opposite. She goes around the plate eating one bite of each thing at a time. If she runs out of one item with several bites of everything else left, she will get more of that one item, if she can. Everything has to be even. :laugh:

As for me, I like putting together the "perfect bite." If I have chicken fried steak, I get a piece of the steak, some mashed potatoes, and a piece of fried okra on my fork. Then I dip it in white gravy and have "the perfect bite." :dance:

CD
That's me! A little of everything in one bit. Ooh, and Chicken Fried Steak ... damnit all! I haven't had that in a while ... I like Green Beans with it, but I'll take Fried Okra too :D

Did dinner and everything went exceptionally well. Arugula salad with cranberries, aged balsamic, and supremes of mandarin orange. Shredded Brussels sprouts stir fried with chopped pecans and Hoisin, and the Detroit pizza topped with sauteed maiitakes and garlic. She made all gone and decided she'd like to keep me around a while.

Did dinner and everything went exceptionally well. Arugula salad with cranberries, aged balsamic, and supremes of mandarin orange. Shredded Brussels sprouts stir fried with chopped pecans and Hoisin, and the Detroit pizza topped with sauteed maiitakes and garlic. She made all gone and decided she'd like to keep me around a while.

Fantastic! Now you have to work out some more menus...

Back
Top Bottom