A picky eater challenge

Are we misunderstanding this The OMWC? You are vegetarian, so are you aiming to cook a vegetarian meal for you and your date?
Yes, I am. And I think it's come into focus. Detroit-style pizza, arugula-based salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Maybe some roasted Brussels sprouts as well if we're feeling ambitious and hungry.

I'm thinking hard bout what to use on the Detroit pizza instead of pepperoni.

The key to my heart would be banana peppers.
But not hers. Bell pepper adjacent. My cooking partner (who will NOT be there!) suggested maiitake mushrooms, partially cooked first with a bit of red pepper and salt before using for topping. Seems like a decent idea, maybe with a bit of pimenton.

That's a heck of a road to navigate...I'd check out some Mediterranean recipes..so many fresh combinations with simple dressings, sauces, etc...good luck

Hmmm, I'll need to check her olive tolerance, but I like that!
If you have my luck, when you ask her, she’ll say, “Oh yeah, olives. I don’t like olives, either.” :wink:

Good luck, and of course, you know you have to tell us how she likes whatever you settle on.

Yeah - picky is my sis, who will eat raw tomatoes, but not if they´re baked. Or "I´ll have a pizza - but I can´t stand the crust". Or my chile con carne which, if I don´t blitz all the ingredients except the beef, will end up with little piles of onion, peppers and tomato skins round the plate.

I like raw tomatoes if they are fairly thinly sliced. I'll remove them if they are thickly sliced. I NEVER put ketchup on fries because I don't like it when it's prominent, but I'll eat a burger with a SMALL amount on it and I use it in things like meatloaf. I'll even glaze said meatloaf with a half and half mixture of ketchup and worchestershire, that then is baked for a short while.

I avoid different parts of my meal touching each other, unless they are supposed to, like gravy and mashies, or something like stroganoff over noodles. I do it unconciously but it is apparently fairly obvious in my dinner pictures as it's been commented on in other cooking forums, though not this one. When I stack food, like a fried protein on top of mashies, it just feels wrong to me.

I'm not fond of capers and will pick them out when craig makes chicken or veal marsala, but I will eat them if they get blitzed, like in a salad dressing.

I think we all probably have food quirks even if we are not aware of them until they are pointed out, like my plating. I certainly don't consider myself picky, as I try new things quite often, though I have a few hard nos.

Last edited:
I avoid different parts of my meal touching each other, unless they are supposed to
I’m somewhat like that. The two my wife makes fun of are:

1. I generally eat all of one thing on my plate before moving onto the next thing (all my broccoli, then all my baked potato, then all my steak, for example).
2. I don’t drink anything while I’m eating, only before and after.

I’m somewhat like that. The two my wife makes fun of are:

1. I generally eat all of one thing on my plate before moving onto the next thing (all my broccoli, then all my baked potato, then all my steak, for example).
2. I don’t drink anything while I’m eating, only before and after.
I've been known to follow #1 at times. I'll catch myself doing it and deliberately eat something else.

I'll freely admit to OCD tendencies regarding 2 things, #1and also when trying to solve problematic issues. I can't give up and walk away. It has to get solved. Think goodness it's just those 2 things.

Craig does the drinking thing, but he's only before and then it will be a good while before he drinks again. Used to drive me crazy when he was still drinking alcohol. We'd be in a restaurant and he would have a couple of beers or a drink while we were waiting on food to come. The server would bring our food, see that his drink was empty or nearly empty, ask him if he wanted a refill, he'd say yes, get it, and then it would sit there, nearly always getting left undrunk (is that a word?).

I can't give up and walk away. It has to get solved.
That’s very much me, and it’s led to a lot of arguments over the years, because as soon as MrsT tells me a problem, it has to get fixed, and she’ll get angry and say, “I was just telling you about it, you don’t have to fix it!”

I’ll come back with, “Well, why did you tell me if you didn’t want it fixed? Now I have to fix it, because now I know about it!”

I avoid different parts of my meal touching each other, unless they are supposed to, like gravy and mashies, or something like stroganoff over noodles. I do it unconciously but it is apparently fairly obvious in my dinner pictures as it's been commented on in other cooking forums, though not this one. When I stack food, like a fried protein on top of mashies, it just feels wrong to me.

I've noticed that in your photos, but my mom is the same way, so it doesn't surprise me.

CD

Back
Top Bottom