A plethora of lemons

French toast. Sometimes I add lemon juice to beaten eggs to dip bread in for French toast. Meyer lemon juice would be tasty. You could use challah, brioche, panettone. Serve with strawberries, blueberries, etc on the side. There's always lemonade (plus vodka) :wink:

I too have a lemon tree with masses of lemons available year round. I've given up picking them. I give away kilos and kilos of them every year. Any visitor leaves with at least a dozen lemons. I've no idea what named variety they are but the tree is over 40 odd years old. This winter it is struggling with a lack of water so we've actually built a levy around it which we are now periodically filling with water. filling it had so many lemons on it that it is doubled over with them. This year it may find itself getting pruned heavily just to help it through the drier months. Plus I'll prune the bottlebrush tree back and give it some more light and hopefully a little less competition.

I'm lacking ideas on how to use up so many lemons so would massively appreciate any ideas please.

Maybe tell hubby to urinate on the tree, it's well known around here the acid ? Is good for the tree. It's not uncommon when the grandkids (3 boys) turn up to see them lined up peeing on the tree in the back yard. It's real funny.

Russ

Love the photo! Envy you the lemons. Do you make preserved lemons? Its a great way to use up loads at once and they are SO delicious.

I posted a pic of some I preserved last year I think?? Been keeping until I do a Moroccan dish??.
I think you posted one I liked recently.

Russ

Love the little cart. Adorable. I vote for the Meyer lemon Cheesecake. Since it's winter where you are, my first thought is comfort food like lemon roasted chicken w garlic and herbs, and little roasted potatoes (& Brussels sprouts).

That sounds yummy, I just picked some sprouts.

Russ

What I use lemons for:

Salad dressings
Pan sauces
Baking (both juice and zest)
Marinades
Drinks

I've never used Meyer lemons, but they're readily available here. As to the boozy delights...make your own sour mix (easy-peasy, lemon squeezy, quite literally) and the possibilities are wide open. Whiskey sours, amaretto sours, margaritas, etc.

Back
Top Bottom