A running debate regarding baked beans

Cooked on the hob, low and slow with a dollop of "Chop Sauce". Branston are my current favourites although I occasionally buy Heinz (a little more expensive here).

beanzmeanzheinz.jpg

On the stove every time. It only takes a couple of minutes so what's the need to microwave? Plus, as others have said you can adjust the flavour, seasoning with pepper, mustard, a dollop of home made ketchup, Marmite, whatever. As for those little plastic pots. There is enough plastic floating round the oceans as it is. At least the cans get recycled.

Bacon fried in a saute pan until crisp then removed to cool and crumble. Chopped onions and jalapeno cooked in the bacon fat with minced garlic until fragrant. Then the beans. Eyeball dark brown sugar, molasses, ketchup, yellow mustard and Worcestershire. Add the bacon back in. Transfer to a baking dish or foil deep dish pan and bake at 325F until nice and bubbly with a slight crust on top. That is the basic way I doctor canned baked beans. You can add pulled pork or swap BBQ sauce for the ketchup. Cowboy beans are a different animal.

Bacon fried in a saute pan until crisp then removed to cool and crumble. Chopped onions and jalapeno cooked in the bacon fat with minced garlic until fragrant. Then the beans. Eyeball dark brown sugar, molasses, ketchup, yellow mustard and Worcestershire. Add the bacon back in. Transfer to a baking dish or foil deep dish pan and bake at 325F until nice and bubbly with a slight crust on top. That is the basic way I doctor canned baked beans. You can add pulled pork or swap BBQ sauce for the ketchup. Cowboy beans are a different animal.

This is a dish in itself! :hungry:

I've done both, but I don't think there's that much difference in the taste.

Back
Top Bottom