A running debate regarding baked beans

Curry spices are very good in baked beans - a pinch of garam masala, some chilli. Can you still but Heinz curried baked beans I wonder? I used to love them when I was younger. I think they had raisins in them.

Curry spices are very good in baked beans - a pinch of garam masala, some chilli. Can you still but Heinz curried baked beans I wonder? I used to love them when I was younger. I think they had raisins in them.
Curry in beans. Now there's an idea. My wife would like that. She could live on Currywurst. Curried beans with wurst. I think I have a new recipe idea.

Can't remember them having raisins in them, but you can still buy them.

Untitled.png

I usually buy Sainsbury's baked beans and cook them over a low heat so the sauce thickens. I often chuck a dollop of butter in them and maybe some chilli. I only buy Heinz beans if they are on offer.

They refer to curried beans as well, so it's anyone's guess. Maybe they just rebranded it - the ingredients look the same.

A bit of digging around reveals they have changed the recipe. Here is post from a another forum (my italics)

Upon trying them, what a disappointment. No longer are the beans delicately coloured, with the distinct aroma of curry and with raisins interspersed, of such delicious flavour that I remember. What we have is a dollop of slightly discoloured beans with no raisins and very little curry flavour.

http://www.shootforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=25858

And another (again mentioning the raisins):

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.12.02.png

https://www.reviewcentre.com/tinned_food/heinz_curry_beans-review_4158215

I haven't had curried baked beans in years..!

I usually cook them low and slow.

However I do have some of those microwavable snack pots at work for when I'm on a late shift.

Do they taste better? Dunno, but it feels better cooking them properly.

And as MG says I sometimes add spices, usually just a simple curry powder with some sultanas or similar, paprika is also nice.
Brown sugar goes great with most beans. Now like most things they added different things to canned beans. Saw chipotle mayonnaise in the store. Can’t imagine that being good

Brown sugar goes great with most beans. Now like most things they added different things to canned beans. Saw chipotle mayonnaise in the store. Can’t imagine that being good

I don't know, Sriracha Ketchup is pretty darn good. I often put chipotles in a mayo, sour cream/Crema, honey/agave condiment for tacos or quesadillas. The only thing I'd be worried about with that mayo is wether it had enough chipotles for my taste.

Still don't remember them having raisins in them. Maybe they change the recipe every few years!

Raisins always remind me of that foul tasting Vesta beef curry! Although I think they were sultanas.

51Rw4Rmf0HL._SX385_.jpg

Sriracha mayo is pretty good too.

A friend of mine requested that his ashes be sprinkled in the sea at Sriracha. I've no idea why Sriracha; I don't think he'd ever been there. Can't ask him now.

Back
Top Bottom