Adding vanilla essence to chocolate cake

Amateur1

Local time
11:57 PM
I have this recipe for a healthy (ish) chocolate cake. I would like to add vanilla essence. How much should I add and at what stage of the process?

Cake:

350 g pitted dates
75 g almond flour
75 g coconut oil, room temperature
50 g coconut sugar
50 g cocoa powder
4 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda

Topping:

Almond flour
Strawberries

Preheat the oven to 175C/350F, and line a 20 cm/8 inch spring form with baking paper.

Pit the dates and add them to a food processor along with the coconut sugar, coconut oil, and cocoa powder. Process until smooth.

With the food processor running, add one egg at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition. Occasionally stop the food processor and scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing.

Transfer the dough to a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a spatula, fold the almond flour-mix into the dough.

Transfer the dough to the prepared spring form. Bake until a wooden stick inserted into the center comes out clean (approx. 30 minutes).

Once baked, place the cake on a cooling rack for 5-10 min before releasing and removing the spring form. Let the cake cool completely on the rack before removing the baking paper.

Serve with fresh strawberries and almond flour on top. Enjoy!

Vanilla extact would work. But, make sure it is real vanilla extract, and not vanilla "flavored" extract. The real stuff costs more. I make my own (and give it to friends and family). I'd mix it in with the wet ingredients to the cake batter. How much? Not sure. IIRC, I use 1 TSP to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Maybe start there, and taste the batter, and add more if you need it.

Adding the innards of vanilla beans would be very expensive, and I think it might be hard to control. A good extract isn't cheap, but goes a long way, and once you nail the amount, you can repeat the results every time.

CD

Back
Top Bottom