Air fryer cooking

Ok, here’s the first (and maybe last) air fryer pizza trial.

I used their recipe for the pizza, which calls for using pre-made dough, then fitting it to the 6-inch deep-dish pizza pan they provide, topping it, and air frying it at 375F for 10-12 minutes.

Here are the results (plain cheese pizza, per their recipe):
View attachment 88628
Well, first off, that’s over-baked, but not a tragedy. I’ve seen (and done) worse. Sometimes, crispy cheese is a good thing.

Let’s look at the bottom:
View attachment 88630
Oh my. If you think that do not only isn’t crisp, but doesn’t even look completely done, you’d be right.

Now, the crumb:
View attachment 88629
For the bit that’s done, it’s ok. However, for a 6-inch pizza, it’s still quite doughy and underdone in the middle.

If I play with this some more, things I’ll modify next time (or times) would include using less dough, since I usually prefer a less bready pizza (not always, but most times), pre-bake the dough a bit, or ditch the pan and bake it right on the floor of the air fryer basket, or cover it with foil for the first bake. Most likely, I’d just skip the pan altogether.

What this reminded me of more than anything, though, are those microwaveable Red Baron single-serve pizzas that come in a two-pack:
View attachment 88632
Walmart.com
Yeah I was going to suggest prebaking the crust...man, disappointing I'm sure.

Are you supposed to bake pizza on the air fryer? Not sure if that's the best use of that equipment...my understanding is that the air fryer is supposed to be used instead of deep frying, or to cook stuff you would normally cook in an oven but in smaller portions. But I'm not super experienced using the air fryer...

Air fryer lunch:

Corn-on-the-cob and charred green beans; both were quite nice. I’ll definitely use it for corn again.

One thing I’ve noticed across the board - cook times are wildly off, and I’m using the recipes in the manuals that came with the air fryer.

That corn, for example…the book said 400F for 25-27 minutes. I cooked it at 400F for 13 minutes, and it’s more than done. It could have gone for a bit less, as you can see the kernels starting to separate. Tasted like popcorn.

Air fryer lunch:
View attachment 88633

View attachment 88634

Corn-on-the-cob and charred green beans; both were quite nice. I’ll definitely use it for corn again.

One thing I’ve noticed across the board - cook times are wildly off, and I’m using the recipes in the manuals that came with the air fryer.

That corn, for example…the book said 400F for 25-27 minutes. I cooked it at 400F for 13 minutes, and it’s more than done. It could have gone for a bit less, as you can see the kernels starting to separate. Tasted like popcorn.

No comment other than to say microwaved corn is very quick and easy.

Are you supposed to bake pizza on the air fryer? Not sure if that's the best use of that equipment...my understanding is that the air fryer is supposed to be used instead of deep frying, or to cook stuff you would normally cook in an oven but in smaller portions. But I'm not super experienced using the air fryer...

From posts I've read on the internets, if you have an air fryer and an InstaPot, you can cook ANYTHING!

CD

Air fryer lunch:
View attachment 88633

View attachment 88634

Yeah, that corn looks overcooked to me. The kernels look shriveled up a little.

CD

Well I haven´t tried what you cooked,

TastyReuben

but I will admit that the pizza looks absolutely dire and would be better employed as a frisbee for the dog...
Didn´t much like the look of the corn, either, but I´d prefer to grill or boil my corn, so I´ll take your word for it!

Any ideas how to cook brussel sprouts in the air fryer?

I used this recipe but my brussel sprouts turned entirely black, slightly mushy and they tasted bitter and funny...

I used this recipe but my brussel sprouts turned entirely black, slightly mushy and they tasted bitter and funny...

When I get home, I’ll see what my air fryer cookbook as to say about it and let you know.

Sounds like the cooking time was off and/or your sprouts were too small. Did you shake them and check them during cooking? I wonder if the size and brand of the air fryers varies. J know it shouldn't, but...

How disappointing that must have been.

Back
Top Bottom