Recipe Almond Meal Mock Graham Cracker Crust

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:53 AM
So I had a few cups of almond solids leftover from when I made almond milk. After drying the solids in the oven on low heat, I had just about 2 cups of coarse almond meal. I decided to make a mock "graham cracker" pie crust with it. The result was pretty awesome!

This pie crust is vegan and gluten-free. It tasted exactly like graham cracker pie crust to me! It is ideal for use with cream-based pies and other no-bake pies. Regular almond flour can be used if you don't have almond meal on hand. I recommend toasting your almond meal or almond flour lightly before mixing with the other ingredients. It really brings out the rich, nutty flavor. You can do this easily in a pan on the stove using a low heat and stirring frequently until the almond flour is lightly browned, or you can do it on a cookie sheet in the oven at around 350, pulling it out to stir as it browns. Watch it carefully if you do it in the oven as to not overcook it.

Ingredients:

2 cups toasted almond meal or almond flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds or flax meal
6 tbsp vegan butter, melted
5 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

Mix the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl and stir until well-blended. If using almond meal, you can use a fork to crush any overly large pieces of meal but it's totally unnecessary for it to be fine in texture. Pour in melted vegan butter and stir. Press mixture firmly into 9" pie pan (I used a spatula, framing and packing the edges with my hand). Bake in over for 10-15 minutes at 350. Allow pie crust to cool before filling.

Notes:

Sugar, salt, and cinnamon amounts can be reduced if desired. I like a lot of cinnamon and brown sugar, personally! I also think it's possible to omit the cinnamon and use cocoa powder for a chocolate cookie crust, but I will have to play around with that sometime to figure out how much cocoa powder would be needed.

Last edited:
A clever idea JASOH1 - what are you going to put inside it?

Incidentally, we don't have graham crackers in the UK. Apparently the nearest equivalent is digestive biscuits (which are oat biscuits) but I don't think they are the same.

A clever idea JASOH1 - what are you going to put inside it?

Incidentally, we don't have graham crackers in the UK. Apparently the nearest equivalent is digestive biscuits (which are oat biscuits) but I don't think they are the same.
Are they called Graeme crackers? :whistling:

I really love this recipe as a baseline for a number of things. And, I like the idea of this as a crust vs. graham crackers (or graeme crackers).
Thank you! I adapted it from a recipe that called for artificial sweeteners and an added protein powder. I don't like artificial sweeteners, although stevia is okay (since it's plant based), but I really just prefer the taste of real sugar. Also the protein powder they used was a whey based protein which would have made it non-vegan, so I had to adjust amounts of other ingredients to compensate. It thankfully worked!

Thank you! I adapted it from a recipe that called for artificial sweeteners and an added protein powder. I don't like artificial sweeteners, although stevia is okay (since it's plant based), but I really just prefer the taste of real sugar.
I totally agree about the artificial sweetener. Swerve is supposed to be 100 times more intense than sugar, but it doesn't sweeten like sugar. You save the calories, but lose the reason you add sugar in the first place. For the most part, I give up on trying to skinny down recipes using artificial sweetener. The one exception I've found is this:

resize

Even though "confectioners sugar" is usually something you just put in the frosting, I made blueberry muffins with this, and they were incredible. It's expensive, but worth it.

I totally agree about the artificial sweetener. Swerve is supposed to be 100 times more intense than sugar, but it doesn't sweeten like sugar. You save the calories, but lose the reason you add sugar in the first place. For the most part, I give up on trying to skinny down recipes using artificial sweetener. The one exception I've found is this:

resize

Even though "confectioners sugar" is usually something you just put in the frosting, I made blueberry muffins with this, and they were incredible. It's expensive, but worth it.

The image doesn't work...

It's a photo of Swerve Confectioner's sugar, and I had no idea that it was a zero calorie sweetener that apparently tastes like real sugar. I am willing to give it a go.

Edited to add that it's odd I can see it and you can't?
Here's the link to blueberry muffins I made with Swerve:

Blueberry Muffins – Absolute 0 Cooking

Not sure if you're up on Weight Watchers Points, but Swerve changes it from 6 points per muffin to 2 points. That means I can eat 3 of them instead of only 1. :laugh:

Here's the link to blueberry muffins I made with Swerve:

Blueberry Muffins – Absolute 0 Cooking

Not sure if you're up on Weight Watchers Points, but Swerve changes it from 6 points per muffin to 2 points. That means I can eat 3 of them instead of only 1. :laugh:
I had been to your site before, very cool. I understand how the points work, I have a couple of friends who use the WW program. That's awesome!

Back
Top Bottom