American hot dogs

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:18 PM
i love these, we have a murican day here once or twice a year, I make them for whoever is here. Now maybe Craig or another person on here can say how you make them, but here's my take

Frankfurter
White bun.
Chopped onion
American mustard liquid
Relish
BBQ sauce
Cheese

I believe in New York the dog doesn't use ketchup, just mustard. And no cheese. What's your take on it??

image.jpeg

I like them basically two ways. Gotta be an all beef, foot long dog. I make a special sauce I call Coney Island sauce which goes on the dog in a bun with German mustard or I use my beanless chili, again with German mustard. The dogs get steamed in beer.

Ok, there are some regional preferences with dogs in the US, much like pizza.

Detroit is famous for their coneys, and where my wife is from (upstate NY) they have a variant called either michigans (but don't suggest the obvious connection back to Detroit coneys, or you'll be murdered in your sleep) or Texas red hots. Those (the upstate NY variety) are usually made with red Glazier brand natural casing dogs from Malone, NY (sometimes referred to as red rockets), and they're served on split-top coney-style buns, topped with meat sauce, mustard, and onions. No ketchup ever and no cheese ever, and like a Philly cheesesteak, there's a lingo to ordering them, as you can choose to have the onions placed on the bun first ("wit' buried!") or not.

Then there are Chicago dogs, which are an absolute delight and have more rules than most foods. Vienna Beef brand hot dogs, local sport peppers, and a poppy seed bun are a must. Let's see...it's a dog with the peppers, tomatoes, a dill pickle spear, onion, sweet pickle relish, and a good shake of celery salt (or seed, I can't remember which). It's definitely a meal.

If I'm having a regular hot dog at home (being in a sausage town, I rarely have a regular hot dog, because there are so many other choices), I like it with just mustard, and plain yellow American mustard (French's or Plochman's are the big brands).

With a nod to its origins, a lot of folks like sauerkraut on their dogs, especially at a baseball game, and some parts of the country, the kraut is served warmed, while others, it's just room temperature, straight out of the can.

i love these, we have a murican day here once or twice a year, I make them for whoever is here. Now maybe Craig or another person on here can say how you make them, but here's my take

Frankfurter
White bun.
Chopped onion
American mustard liquid
Relish
BBQ sauce
Cheese

I believe in New York the dog doesn't use ketchup, just mustard. And no cheese. What's your take on it??

In New York, people will use mustard and/or ketchup.

My personal preference: frankfurter (good quality), chopped onion, Dijon mustard (most just use yellow, which I will use, but prefer Dijon), and occasionally, cheese.

I do not like ketchup even on burgers. Ketchup to me is only good mixed with horseradish to make cocktail shrimp dip. I don't care for the pickle relish (too sweet for me), but it is popular.

Sometimes, if hungry, I like adding chili - as in a batch of chili, not the powder. Saurkraut is good. Sometimes it's sauerkraut and chili together.

I am also quite willing to forego the tasteless bun. Serve on a plate, top, and enjoy with a knife and fork.

PS, I grew up in New York.

Last edited:
Here are some michigans (wit' buried) I made over July 4th. I couldn't use Glaziers (not available here), so I used local Queen City dinner franks, which are very big, so I split them.

I also put it on Fritos, which I call "North Country Nachos," in honor of where my wife is from (commonly referred to in-state as "The North Country").

More about michigans:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_hot_dog

D45BF774-92E9-444F-AE9F-37FDDD8EB012.jpeg

Sweet pickle relish and yellow American mustard is my go to, though I will have my chili without beans on a hot dog as well. Or a corn dog with mustard (I bet our German sweet/hot mustard will go great with that). Dang, we haven't had those in ages. HDs are actually on our menu this week with coleslaw.

BTW, a corn dog, for those who don't know, is a hot dog on a stick dipped in a corn bread batter and deep fried generally, though you can pan fry, which we usually do at home. You can also buy them frozen and heat up in the oven, but what's the fun in that?

I'm very happy to say that everything I was about to say about hot dogs was already said perfectly by @CraigC and @TastyReuben. To me, there is a world of difference between an all beef dog and any other sort of blended dog. With an Angus beef hot dog, the beef flavor shines through even chili, onions, and mustard, whereas if feels like any other sort of hot dog is just there to provide volume: I can't even taste the meat.

My go-to will always be a Coney dog, with beef in its natural casing, chili without beans, yellow mustard, and chopped onions. I don't have an issue with any other type of dog (though I am not a fan of ketchup on a dog), but I can't call anything else a Coney dog.

It's funny but true that the Michigan originated in upstate New York, while the Coney dog originated in Michigan. There is some dispute about who created it, but it is generally agreed that Greek immigrants who passed through New York on their way to Michigan were the creators.

Not sure what that means?

Can't recall the last time I ate a hot dog...

Just as TastyReuben said: chili con carne.

I think the expression, Coney Dog - came from where they were often served... venders on/near the beach at Coney Island, New York. But most folk I know just say hot dog.

Yes, the all beef ones are the best. I don't eat them very often, however.

Frankfurter
White bun.
Chopped onion
American mustard liquid
Relish
BBQ sauce
Cheese

There were two popular dogs I recall growing up in New York. Sabretts and Nathan's in Coney Island (Brooklyn, New York). Mustard was what I recall. Sabretts were sold by street vendors too. These days anything goes. Pink's in California has just about any combination of toppings you can think of. They give their dogs names. The Pink's in Vegas has one called the Showgirl, if I remember. Lol Tommy's is popular here too. They're famous for their chili & cheese toppings. Depends on my mood. Sometimes I want a dog with "snap," but these days I'm liking Oscar Mayer weiners.

Last edited:
There is some dispute about who created it

When I joined the military, my first posting was in Plattsburgh, NY - spiritual home of the michigan.

I'd never heard of michigans before, and I kept seeing all these signs around town advertising michigans.

I asked a young local woman, just a couple of weeks after I'd gotten there, what all these "michigans" signs were for.

"Michigans. You know, michigans. Hot dogs with michigan sauce? Michigans!"

Now, I'm Ohio born and bred and had been to the state of Michigan, and I knew Detroit had a coney dog culture, so I demonstrated my vast knowledge of hot dog trivia and said, "Oh yeah, like the coneys in Michigan."

SLAP!

She hit me so hard, it watered my eyes. :cry:

"Michigans don't have one damn thing to do with Michigan! Michigans are ours! They're from here! Here, and don't forget it!"

That was my introduction to michigans (also advertised as Texas red hots, although they have nothing to do with Texas). :)

Now, I'm Ohio born and bred and had been to the state of Michigan, and I knew Detroit had a coney dog culture, so I demonstrated my vast knowledge of hot dog trivia and said, "Oh yeah, like the coneys in Michigan."

SLAP!

She hit me so hard, it watered my eyes. :cry:

"Michigans don't have one damn thing to do with Michigan! Michigans are ours! They're from here! Here, and don't forget it!"

That was my introduction to michigans (also advertised as Texas red hots, although they have nothing to do with Texas). :)
:eek: :laugh:

i love these, we have a murican day here once or twice a year, I make them for whoever is here. Now but here's my take

Frankfurter
White bun.
Chopped onion
American mustard liquid
Relish
BBQ sauce
Cheese

Can't go wrong with the classics - mustard and relish, or mustard and sauerkraut.

I've made Mexican Taco dogs - dog in a tortilla with chopped onion, tomato, avocado or guacamole, & shredded cheese.

Back
Top Bottom