American hot dogs

Our local German restaurant serves a 38-inch mettwurst, dubbed The Terminator. I think that one made it on the Food Network at some point.

I'm sure I mentioned this before, my wife's hometown is famous for hot dogs served with a spicy meat sauce called michigan sauce. I usually make a batch a couple of times a year, and it's also great served over Fritos.

I'm due to have a hot dog week, as I've got a pack frozen in the freezer that's calling my name. I generally eat them as follows:

1. Just mustard
2. Mustard and onions
3. Mustard, onions, and kraut
4. Michigans
5. Full-on Chicago dog

They used to sell a dog at the local ballpark that was topped with barbecue baked beans, onions, mustard, and Fritos. I liked that a lot. I also had a hot dog in Vancouver topped with some kind of brown sauce and pickled radish slaw. That, to be kind, was crap. 💩

Here in the Netherlands our traditional hotdogs are a kind of sausage called 'knakworst' which means the same as 'snapping sausage' because it snaps when you break it.

It's served mainly at children's birthday parties, and oddly at Ikea. They often look like this:

The toppings are just mayo and ketchup for kids, this is the more grown up version. Once in a while I'll crave them and eat them, but I can't remember the last time I had one outside of Ikea.

When we were kids, budget hot dogs, cold, straight from the fridge, was an almost-daily snack. I have many memories of Mom grabbing a cold hot dog out of the pack for me, and another one for the dog: "Now git outside, both of you!"

Wow, I never saw this thread. Merca is the home of the hot dog, and there are as many ways to make them right as there are to make them wrong. A discussion about the best kind of hot dog in the USA could easily turn into a fistfight.

Personally, I like just about all of the regional varieties. You couldn't pay me to eat Chicago "pizza-like caserole," but I love a Chicago dog -- dragged through the garden. And New a York street dog, the world renowned "dirty water dog," with mustard and sauerkraut is a national treasure. The Coney Island with chili, cheddar and onions is another go to dog, and Jame's Coney Island in downtown Houston makes a great one, served with a longneck buried under ice til you order it. TR, remember Lumm's Hot Dog's In Cincinnati -- steamed in beer? (out of business now)

The hot dog is the ultimate working man's food -- something you can eat without stopping to sit down.

I love some of the crazy things people have done with them.

CD

We have them about once a month, grandkids love them.

Russ

To the tune of "American Woman:"

American hot dog, sitting in a bu-un!
American hot dog, cook it til it's do-one!
Have it any way you please
A squirt of mustard or a lot of cheese
Kraut and onions are both just fine
I like yours and you like mine
But one thing you can't do to that pup
Is cover it in a load of ketchup!
Now ketchup, I said stay away-ay,
Ketchup or catsup, just go away-ay!

Here in the Netherlands our traditional hotdogs are a kind of sausage called 'knakworst' which means the same as 'snapping sausage' because it snaps when you break it.

It's served mainly at children's birthday parties, and oddly at Ikea. They often look like this:
View attachment 37911

The toppings are just mayo and ketchup for kids, this is the more grown up version. Once in a while I'll crave them and eat them, but I can't remember the last time I had one outside of Ikea.

IKEA in the US sells hotdogs in the "Bistro" for 75-cents each. You can get two dogs and a small soft drink for about two-bucks.

CD

Hah, we are having dogs and crowns this week. Mine will have mustard and pickle relish, don't know what Craig will have on his.
When I do the potatoes, I set the oven at 450F, and put the baking sheet in, doused in oil, while it heats up. The potatoes sizzle when they hit that hot oil, and the wife says, "I don't know what you do, but these baked crowns taste like they were deep-fried!" :wink:

Um, those look like Tater Tots. What did I miss?

CD
I think it's just the perspective of my phone. Those are the round flat ones (crispy crowns), not the fat pellet ones (tater tots). Besides the shape, they're exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom