American hot dogs

I would be remiss, as it's local to me, if I failed to mention cheese coneys by Skyline and Gold Star chili parlors, featuring (of course) Cincinnati-style chili.

Cincy-style chili...you'd either kill your own mother to eat, or to not have to eat it. Also developed by Greek immigrants, it's flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and clove, along with the more expected chili spices. Some recipes also call for a bit of chocolate.

You've never smelled anything quite like Cincy-style chili. Take that whichever way you want. :whistling:

Besides going on a hot dog (with finely shredded cheddar cheese, mustard, and onions), it's also meant as a spaghetti topper. You'd never order or eat a bowl of Cincy-style chili.

If you go the spaghetti route, it's fun to order, as it's order in ways, meaning if you want chili and spaghetti, that's a two-way, and chili, spaghetti, and cheese is a three-way (and probably the most popular way), on up to a five-way. It's a lot of fun when you have out-of-town guests and can ask them, "Bill and I were thinking of a three-way...want to join us?" :oops::eek::hug:

Another little peculiarity - when you sit down at any chili parlor in Cincy, you'll immediately be given a little bowl of oyster crackers, and there's always hot sauce on the table. If you want to be a local, you'll take an oyster cracker, put a drop of hot sauce on it, and eat that as an appetizer while you're waiting on your food.

@TastyReuben: is there a difference between Cincinnati-style chili and this (from Toledo)?

shopping

You can get this in supermarkets in Michigan.

@The Late Night Gourmet - we don't have those here, I think that's more of a Cleveland area thing.

Cincy-style chili is not thick at all, and smells like lamb kofta.

I personally think it's very unpalatable, but it's insanely popular and there have been legendary rivalries between Skyline fans and Gold Star fans (though they taste the same).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili

Wow, I never saw this thread. Merca is the home of the hot dog, and there are as many ways to make them right as there are to make them wrong. A discussion about the best kind of hot dog in the USA could easily turn into a fistfight.

Personally, I like just about all of the regional varieties. You couldn't pay me to eat Chicago "pizza-like caserole," but I love a Chicago dog -- dragged through the garden. And New a York street dog, the world renowned "dirty water dog," with mustard and sauerkraut is a national treasure. The Coney Island with chili, cheddar and onions is another go to dog, and Jame's Coney Island in downtown Houston makes a great one, served with a longneck buried under ice til you order it. TR, remember Lumm's Hot Dog's In Cincinnati -- steamed in beer? (out of business now)

The hot dog is the ultimate working man's food -- something you can eat without stopping to sit down.

I love some of the crazy things people have done with them.

CD

Back
Top Bottom