American hot dogs

The Late Night Gourmet
All beef in natural casings are a must.
I recently researched recipes for venison sausage. The recipes all used sheep casings. Not as large as hog casings and gives that "snap" that you want in a good dog.

I am not a fan of boiled dogs. Grilled, skillet cooked, broiled in the toaster oven even in the microwave. I usually cut them in half length wise and lightly score the outside to keep them flat. Cook the inside first. Turn, add cheese to melt while the outside cooks. I like cheese a LOT! If I am using a crumbled cheese (feta, Gorgonzola, goat cheese) the crumbles are added as soon as the dog hits the bun. The toppings depend on what is in the fridge. Never ketchup. Always mustard - plain yellow, Dijon, course grain - any kind. Mayonnaise sometimes. Diced onions - most of the time. Like diced avocado. Sauerkraut - occasionally. Don't always have it in the pantry. Chili without beans if I have some homemade on hand. Minced dill pickles - maybe minced dills with just a little sweet relish. Not a fan of sweet relish only.

I do not buy buns for the two of us. Eat it off of a plate, wrapped in a slice of bread or even a lettuce wrap.

Dogs have been added to my shopping list. I will make lettuce wraps.

Back
Top Bottom