An evening with the Hairy Bikers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Food Discussions' started by morning glory, 22 Mar 2019.

1. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

That's disappointing :(. Glad you had a good time, though.

2. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Midlands, England

A bit cheeky!

3. rascal

rascal Über Member

I would have said something. That is a rip off to describe that as a goodie bag.

Russ

4. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I should have done really.

rascal likes this.
  5. Elawin

Elawin Veteran

Sorry, but I can't stand the Hairy Bikers - the thought of long hair hanging over food really puts me off. Having said that, I do watch some of their programmes which are about foods (or countries) I am interested in.

6. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

This is what my mum says I don't have a telly so only read their articles and recipes. I put the 'hairy' bit out of my mind.

Elawin likes this.
  7. Windigo

Windigo Member

Did you get any food to eat from them too? Was it good?

8. morning glory

Unfortunately not!

9. TastyReuben

TastyReuben Active Member

I'm mixed about THB. We've watched several of their shows, but I think our favorite is a non-cooking one, "Pubs That Built Britain."

Dave, I like. He seems genuine, and he's goofy, but it a very mild, low-key way. Si...sigh...there's too much mugging and face-pulling going on. He's like a hyperactive kid vying for constant attention. His schtick gets tiresome after a (very short) while. I also get the feeling that Dave is the real cook in that partnership, and Si is there to mix things and say "dude" at the end of every sentence. :)

It's always like that with teams - you like one and dislike the other. I had the same reaction to Two Fat Ladies when they were on.

So we've seen the pubs show, and their series about chicken (that was excellent), and maybe one or two specials, like a Christmas special or something, and now we're watching one where they show how to do posh food on the cheap, and they reward a deserving person/family at the end with their cheap/posh meal.

I could do without the last bit, because if I'm watching a cooking show, I don't really need a subplot playing at my emotions, but it's a nice diversion. We watch them over weekend breakfasts.

10. Windigo

Windigo Member

I would not go then, I think overall the food is what makes them interesting to me lol . The rest I've read in their biography and that's enough for me, I love the book.

11. morning glory

They are very entertaining - like a comedy show really in a theatre. But I understand your point.

Windigo likes this.
  12. rascal

rascal Über Member

I would love sitting down and having a few drinks with rick stein. I love the guy.

Russ

morning glory likes this.
  13. morning glory

Well, he lives in Australia these days, so you never know...

rascal likes this.
  14. Elawin

Elawin Veteran

The thing that put me off the Hairy Bikers was seeing them at least in their early TV shows cooking with their hair hanging down over all the food. I have watched and recorded some of their programmes though, mainly the European ones and any about making food I am interested in. There was one on bread a few days ago, but I haven't watched it yet. I've also bought Rick Stein's India but some of that is fish and that makes my skin crawl at the thought. I don't watch his TV programmes usually either but have seen some of the ones linked to his book.

rascal likes this.
  15. rascal

rascal Über Member

Yeah, I might look him up.lol. ( I mean it too)

Russ