Anyone ever take cooking classes?

I took a cooking class while in Japan. We made Sushi, Miso soup, and Tamago (Omelet). EDIT: we also did tempura shrimp & veggies.
My biggest takeaway, aside from how to make a sushi-roll, was how much [additional] sugar is in Sushi rice :eek:

I took a cooking class while in Japan. We made Sushi, Miso soup, and Tamago (Omelet). EDIT: we also did tempura shrimp & veggies.

I'm suitably impressed. Japanese cookery has to be the most pernickety, perfectionist cooking in the world. And yes, you can tell I'm not a fan.

My biggest takeaway, aside from how to make a sushi-roll, was how much [additional] sugar is in Sushi rice :eek:

Now I know why I never liked sushi...

Last edited:
I'm suitably impressed. Japanese cookery has to be the most pernickety, perfectionist cooking in the world. And yes, you can tell I'm not a fan.
I love it, but I'll admit that I'm not a big one for that level of detail in my own cooking. I have however made decent looking Sushi bowls in the past when I had access to freshly caught fish. I'll look for a pic to share with you.

Yes, there are a few places around that offer cooking classes. We've taken several.

Where we've gone, they offer a few different types; demo classes (like a cooking show and everyone eats), hands-on classes (you cook along with the instructors and everyone eats), classes that are cuisine-specific, classes that deal with wine/beer pairings, themed classes, and "field-trip" classes, where they hold it somewhere off-site, like a winery.

The classes we've taken:

Couples Cook Italian
Grilled Pizza Party
Couples Cook German
English Tea Party
British Pub Night
And a few I'm forgetting

Each class was 2-4 hours.
Wait--what? We? Your wife actually COOKED something?

It's balanced out nicely by the rice wine vinegar.

Recipe cover sheets from most of the cooking classes we've taken:

You made something with fish in it?
No, I would skip that. The tea, for example, was a demo class, and both MrsT and I gave our smoked salmon sandwiches to the folks on either side of us.

No, I would skip that. The tea, for example, was a demo class, and both MrsT and I gave our smoked salmon sandwiches to the folks on either side of us.
Now I thought she liked fish? I love smoked salmon, as long as it is "hot smoked". I know that many people prefer cold smoked lox, but to me the texture is too slimy. And I know you occasionally like battered fish that tastes like chicken, LOL, and that's about it, right?

Now I thought she liked fish? I love smoked salmon, as long as it is "hot smoked". I know that many people prefer cold smoked lox, but to me the texture is too slimy. And I know you occasionally like battered fish that tastes like chicken, LOL, and that's about it, right?
She'll eat lobster and crab and fish-and-chips, but she won't eat clams or salmon, scallops or sea bass, etc.

Back
Top Bottom